WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

OT- car wheel bearing replacement

Posts

OT- car wheel bearing replacement

#1

OT- car wheel bearing replacement

Tom Norton

So in my quest to keep up with repairs on my wife's car I completed the Brae job. But now I am hearing what I believe is a front wheel bearing. So after watching the appropriate You Tube videos I am getting ready to undertake this job.

So my question is has anyone here done this task and how did you remove and replace the bearing in the knuckle?

Thanks!

Also grease is not as pleasant to remove from my hands as sawdust and glue!!

Re: OT- car wheel bearing replacement

#2

Re: OT- car wheel bearing replacement

Mark Nowicki

Several times on different makes.

1999 F150, 2001 Honda and 2010 Dodge.

On the Honda and Dodge I changed the entire hubs per repair manual. Also, as per manual, replaced the hub nut, and tightened to specified torque.

http://www.skf.com/binary/81-66360/457377.pdf

Re: OT- car wheel bearing replacement

#3

Re: OT- car wheel bearing replacement

John K Jordan

It might depend on the car. The front bearings on my Dodge diesel truck were a major operation and big cost. I do know that if you hear any bearing noise you might want to fix it quick, but you know that! I once had bearings noises start on the interstate and the bearing was destroyed in just a few miles of driving to the next exit.

I had a front axel on my 4wd tractor come off and sprinkle steel balls on the ground. Now I periodically raise the front end off the ground and grab the wheels to check the bearings. You can do the same thing with the car - jack it up and check for play and noise or gritty feel while rotating the wheel while applying pressure in different directions.

BTW, I always buy a complete service manual for every vehicle, new or used. They are expensive but this has saved me a bunch of money over the years since I can then fix almost any problem myself.

JKJ

Re: OT- car wheel bearing replacement

#4

Front or rear?

Dustmaker (Mike)

Is this the Ford Fusion? You can go to Autozone or any parts house and get a bearing puller for free to use.

When you did the brakes did you check for play and or grinding while the calipers where off?

Grab the top and bottom of each wheel and push at the top and pull at the bottom You should not get an end play. Rotate the wheel and listen for grinding or binding. This will be the bearing that needs replacing.

The biggest part is the wrench socket to remove the center nut. The rears are easier then the fronts. Some of the fronts are complete hub assemblies (which I like better) and you will need a puller.

Also get more hand cleaner because you will get greasy again.

Re: OT- car wheel bearing replacement

#5

Re: Front or rear?

Tom Norton

The bearing is the front. Called NAPA and they have a good price on bearing and hub combo + for $30 they will present out the old and install the new.

Re: OT- car wheel bearing replacement

#6

Pressing out, pressing in bearings.

Mark Nowicki

An acquaintance of mine took that route with his Honda, even though a total hub replacement is specified for that make.

The hub got distorted, affecting the ABS sensor and the ABS system.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.