WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

5 inch pvc pipe

Posts

5 inch pvc pipe

#1

5 inch pvc pipe

Kelly M. Robison

Up-grading my dust collection system. Where is the best place to buy 5 inch PVC pipe and fittings? I have a small shop [24' X 24'] but I would like to set something up for my 4 main tools.

Thanks,

Kelly in Port Orchard.WA

Re: 5 inch pvc pipe

#2

Not the Borgs

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

and not 5".

Go to a plumbing supply and get 6" "S&D" pipe and fittings Then you use 6x6x4 Y's for your 4" runs to the machines. Put in the Y's ( not T's) so that the air.

The borgs ( Lowes, Home D, etc) don't carry S&D which is thinner and half the price of the schedule 40 PVC that they carry

Re: 5 inch pvc pipe

#3

what DC?

John K Jordan

I also used the 6" S&D pipe from a plumbing supplier with five 6" drops, some split into several 4" lines. I found the cheapest elbow and wye fittings at the local Ace hardware. I use a 5hp ClearVue cyclone and the dust collection is amazing.

But you didn't mention what dust collector you have. A larger pipe is not necessarily better if the dust collector doesn't have enough power to keep enough air moving.

JKJ

Re: 5 inch pvc pipe

#4

Re: 5 inch pvc pipe

John McGaw

In addition to what others have said about S&D, you will do yourself a favor if you ask specifically for fittings with wide sweep. Having sharp bends will inevitably cause problems. When I put mine together I avoided cementing every joint so that it could be disassembled later if cleaning is needed. I used short sheet metal screws at the unglued joints to hold them together although the fittings are really tight enough on their own.

Re: 5 inch pvc pipe

#5

2hp -1600 cfm blower

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

into a 6' hanging bag and separator located in the garage.

At the end of a 40' run with several turns I still get 800+ cfm through a 4" connector.

Re: 5 inch pvc pipe

#6

Turns

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

Make duct turns with a pair of 45° bends and a short piece of straight rather than a single 90° el. Look for a radius of the bend greater than the diameter of the pipe to minimize restriction.

Aluminum duct tape does a nice job of sealing joints while allowing access.

Re: 5 inch pvc pipe

#7

Re: 5 inch pvc pipe

John in NM

I don't think that is a standard size, is it? Usually I see it go from 4" to 6".

Second Mark's suggestion of using thin wall pipe for this, it's cheaper, lighter, and plenty strong enough for this.

You could also look into spiral steel ducting, the times I've used it I found the price very reasonable. Trick with that is finding a supplier (preferably the manufacturer, in which case it should be competitive with sched 40 PVC - at least it was 20 years ago :) ). When I lived in Tucson there was a company that manufactured it, they would happily sell you 10' or 10,000' in whatever diameter you wanted.

Re: 5 inch pvc pipe

#8

Re: Not the Borgs

Kelly M. Robison

Thanks to everyone that replied. I am using a 3 HP, 1800 CFM blower. I will look up a local plumbing supply house in my area and get what was suggested. I am also using an Oneida Dust Deputy with 6" inlet and 6" outlet, so I wanted to use 5 inch main lines in my shop.

Thanks again,

Kelly in Port Orchard, WA

Re: 5 inch pvc pipe

#9

Better to use 6 in ducting

ian neuhaus

If your cyclone has a 6" inlet, air-flow wise it's best to use 6" ducting through to each machine if at all possible. Also, if you can, open up each machine's dust port to 6".

The other "tip" is to ensure that enough replacement air can enter the machine. With a table saw this often requires additional openings in the cabinet so enough air can get in. A 6" dust outlet needs about 30 square inches of space for inlet air.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.