WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Finally finished the A&C Side Board

Posts

Finally finished the A&C Side Board

#1

Alan Young

Finally finished the A&C Side Board

Alan Young

A sideboard in the Arts and Craft tradition with some slight Greene and Greene influences.


Materials-Mahogany and Sapele.Finish- Oil and Shellac for the base,carcase,and doors. Oil and Polyurethane for the drawers and top.

Dimensions-35"H,19",D and 96" L



The right side opens with an upper drawer for Utensils


Three removable boxes sit above lower Silverware/Utensils compartments.


Three center drawers ride on full extension drawer slides.






Re: Finally finished the A&C Side Board

#2

Re: Finally finished the A&C Side Board

Barry Irby

Absolutely beautiful! Congratulations on a fabulous job. 8' long? That's going to require a special place.

Re: Finally finished the A&C Side Board

#3

much admired


Re: Finally finished the A&C Side Board

#4

Re: Finally finished the A&C Side Board

Hank Knight

Alan, that's a wonderful piece. Great job!

Re: Finally finished the A&C Side Board

#5

JL

Nice!!


Re: Finally finished the A&C Side Board

#6

Re: Finally finished the A&C Side Board

Virgil Johnson

Nice work.

Re: Finally finished the A&C Side Board

#7

Finely Finished

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

Alan, this is one of your better pieces.

Very nice!

Thanks for the pix.

Re: Finally finished the A&C Side Board

#8

Kneale Brownson

Re:" Finely" I See What You Did Here

Kneale Brownson

I agree too!!

Re: Finally finished the A&C Side Board

#9

Re: Finally finished the A&C Side Board

Thomas Skaggs, Foothills of Mount Level

Implausible for me to believe you made a piece of that size in your shop. You must have moved some tools around. :D Never the less, very nice work. I like the silverware inserts idea. Well done sir!

T.

Re: Finally finished the A&C Side Board

#10

All I got is WOW!!!


Re: Finally finished the A&C Side Board

#11

beautiful 


Re: Finally finished the A&C Side Board

#12

Re: Finally finished the A&C Side Board

Ray Mtn. Home Ar.

That is impressive .Really like that mahogany top.

Re: Finally finished the A&C Side Board

#13

Alan Young

Thanks every one...

Alan Young

This piece did push my shop's capacity-So much that I moved it to my Son's Basement shop for the final finishing as I have other project taking shape and ran out of room. for specifics: The top, the door and side panels and the drawer fronts. the accent strips on the base aprons and applied "feet"are all made from Sapele. The Legs, carcass framing and door stiles and rails are all Mahogany.

-Alan

Re: Finally finished the A&C Side Board

#14

Simply gorgeous Alan!!


Re: Finally finished the A&C Side Board

#15

Re: Beautiful work Allen!


Re: Finally finished the A&C Side Board

#17

Ellis Walentine

Snazzy!

Ellis Walentine

Haven't used that word in a while, but this piece suggested it to me. I'm always interested to see variations on classic themes, as you've done here with arcs and stylized cloud lifts. The result is, well, snazzy. Kudos, Alan.

Just curious, and maybe you've shown this in earlier posts, but is the base a separate construction from the carcase(s) or do those legs go all the way up through?

Thanks for an ambitious post and a fine accomplishment.

Ellis

Re: Finally finished the A&C Side Board

#18

Alan Young

Design progression

Alan Young

Just curious, and maybe you've shown this in earlier posts, but is the base a separate construction from the carcase(s) or do those legs go all the way up through?

Thanks Boss-These clients were great. They had a different Buffet in this location that was not as long and protruded out into the room further than they wanted so they requested

1. A piece that was long enough to occupy this wall- but narrow enough to allow passage between it and the dining table(Not shown in my photos)

2 the new piece must not block the heat register- and 3. They have a home with Craftsman elements to it so a design in the Arts and Crafts form seemed appropriate.

This was an early idea-


Then I suggested this idea-a mirrored structure on top with extra shelf space for smaller items- and a case with a rounded carcase-


They didn't want the extra mirrow/shelving and didn't like the rounded form of the case.. I suggested this form with a client a year ago and they didn't go for it either Hah!

I tried to push the design with some blatant G&G elements -ie ebony accents with breadboard ends-but they shied away from those elements too- in the end the liked the extra details on the base stretchers and feet and the cloud lift element on the doors.They did not rush their decisions but seem to have weeded out the frill.


Given their requirements and my shops logistics it seemed best to make the base separate from the casework.

I glued and screwed a piece of plywood to the top of the base-This added structural stability

Main case work built to the same perimeters as the base.


A 1.5" wide trim piece wraps around the base of the casework.


This allows the case to "cover" the upper plywood of the base and it gives the movers a lip to grab-

At this point I need to move this out of my shop as I have pieces for two other projects that I need to work on and there was no room- So I was able to move it to my son's basement shop-about a mile or so away where I did the finishing.


Re: Finally finished the A&C Side Board

#19

Re: Design progression

jesse cloud

Thanks for sharing the design progression. I am always curious about how designs came to be what they are.

It is a beauty.

And clearly you met the customer's specs - at first glance I thought the heat register was a decorative feature of the side bar. ;)

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.