WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Lie Nielsen or Veritas Dovetail Saw??

Posts

Lie Nielsen or Veritas Dovetail Saw??

#1

Lie Nielsen or Veritas Dovetail Saw??

Lee

Lie Nielsen is quite difficult to get hold of up here in Canada. Works out to be about twice the price of the Veritas when I factor in shipping and exchange rates.

I'm torn?? Reviews are great for both. Have to say I like the more traditional look of the Lie Nielsen over the Veritas.

What are your experiences with either saw?

All thoughts and comments welcome.

Thanks

Lee

Re: Lie Nielsen or Veritas Dovetail Saw??

#2

Re: Lie Nielsen or Veritas Dovetail Saw??

Don Stephan

My two cents both are very customer oriented companies that work very hard to produce excellent products. Just as the two saws have different shapes, so to each person's bone structure, muscle development, fine motor control, and so on. Not trying to be flip, but I expect the choice, for those who have tried each side by side, will come down to preference for one of the design looks, and factors unique to them. Perhaps the respective companies can and will identify past purchasers in your area, or there is a woodworking group close by whose members own each and would provide an opportunity to try each.

Re: Lie Nielsen or Veritas Dovetail Saw??

#3

Re: Lie Nielsen or Veritas Dovetail Saw??

Mark Nowicki

I don't know where "up here" is, ( I am near Montreal), but Lie-Nielsen travelling show does show up in Canada on occasion.

Personally, my dovetail saw is Japanese, but if you don't like the look of Veritas, Rob Cosman will be happy to sell a traditional looking saw.

https://rob-cosman-your-hand-tool-coach.myshopify.com/collections/saws

Re: Lie Nielsen or Veritas Dovetail Saw??

#4

Pricing is a factor, experience is another.

Derek Cohen (in Perth, Australia)

I have both the Lie Nielsen 15 tpi dovetail saw and the Lee Valley/Veritas 14 ppi dovetail saw.

Both saws are excellent. I would argue that the LN is for the more advanced user, since it comes with an aggressive zero rake. The LV has a more relaxed 14 degrees. This makes the LN cut faster, but the LV is easier to start a cut.

As I recall, the LV is almost half the price of the LN. That will certainly influence someone starting out, as will the softer start.

Neither my saws are in original state since I have had them some years, and I have refiled the teeth. My own preference is for a more aggressive saw (the LN). I could pick up either of these saws and use either one very happily.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Re: Lie Nielsen or Veritas Dovetail Saw??

#5

I have both

Ian Neuhaus

In use, the LN is harder to start -- which I think is related to an assumption on behalf of the original sharpener that users would be "experienced" sawyers.

But my LN is engraved with both Lie Nielsen and Independence so dates from just after when Pete Taran sold Independence Tools to Tom in 1998. The current sharpening practice may well be different.

The Veritas (14 tpi) is easier to start, so it's the saw I prefer to just pickup and use. But, if I force myself to spend 5 minutes practicing starting a cut, my preference switches to the LN. Mostly due to the hang angle, I think.

Both saws work well, and if forced to make a recommendation, it would be Veritas -- purely on the balance of performance vs price.

For thin material (

Re: Lie Nielsen or Veritas Dovetail Saw??

#6

Functionally equivalent

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

Latest Fine Woodworking has a review of DT saws.

I just finished putting together 8 large drawers with these saws. The problem is that I am comparing a LN saw that I have had for years and have refilled 3 times. Most of the set is filed out of it. As received, the LV saw had too much set for my taste and I ground some away. I found my self choosing between them by how much I wanted to steer the saw when cutting. Because it was getting slightly dull the LN was easier to start on the 3/8" sides for some of the drawers. For the thicker sides I reached for the LV. You will note that this statement is opposite what two others wrote and there is a reason. I am talking about subtle differences that have all to do with sharpening and dulling and nothing to do with form. Both saws benefit from lifting up to take the weight off the blade for starting a cut.

The bottom line of it is that there is no functional difference. As usual the LV tool has exceptional ergonomics. If $ is a factor the LV is as good as any other. If looks or tradition are important and $ no object go for a traditional saw. Neither choice will hold you back making these joints.

Re: Lie Nielsen or Veritas Dovetail Saw??

#7

Re: I have both

TM Stock

I had IT 206, a standard LN dovetail, and now have the tapered thin plate. The first two were very similar - just hover the saw over the line and push...not hard starting but def required you to pay attention. The thin plate is about on par with the Veritas for starting, but still has the more aggressive teeth geometry. I know some folks think the 0.015" plate is too thin, but I have not found that to be so.

Re: Lie Nielsen or Veritas Dovetail Saw??

#8

Re: Lie Nielsen or Veritas Dovetail Saw??

William Duffield

The only thing I don't like about the Veritas saws is that it is more difficult to see what direction you are pointing it. There are no visual clues to be seen in the saw's back, since it is matte black and rounded over. Depending on subtleties in the overhead lighting, it gives the optical illusion that it is bent. If you saw by feel alone, it is not a problem. I find this to be even more of distraction with the Veritas saws than with old folded over steel backed saws. I prefer the sharp chamfers of polished brass backs.

Re: Lie Nielsen or Veritas Dovetail Saw??

#9

Re: Lie Nielsen or Veritas Dovetail Saw??

Tony-Memphis

The current FWW has an article about DT saws by Mr. Gouchnor I believe. Might be worth a read.

Re: Lie Nielsen or Veritas Dovetail Saw??

#10

Re: Lie Nielsen or Veritas Dovetail Saw??

Lee

Lots of valuable information to digest, thank you:)

I’m currently leaning towards the Lee Valley saw.

Lee

Re: Lie Nielsen or Veritas Dovetail Saw??

#11

Re: Lie Nielsen or Veritas Dovetail Saw??

TM Stock

So checked the LN tapered thin plate DT saw (early 2017)...looks like 12-15 degrees versus the zero-near zero angle used on the IT and at least the early LN DT saws. The relaxed tooth geometry means easy starting and the thin plate makes the saw about as fast-cutting as my old IT. My students that have used both the LV and the LN DT saws in the shop seem to favor the LN, but almost solely due to the looks. Both good saws, and the LV was cheap enough that it's a 'buy and convert' to whatever tooth pattern pleases you when another saw is added.

šŸ‘ This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.