WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

A unique drawer

Posts

A unique drawer

#1

A unique drawer

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.


I was selecting wood for son-in-law's chest of drawers while he was visiting. There seemed to be a bullet hole in one of the poplar boards I was considering. We explored the hole and indeed there was a bullet in there. When I resawed the drawer side it cut through the bullet. Son-in-law thought that was special and asked If I could include it in the piece. I secured it better with a bit of epoxy and it stayed in place while the drawer was planed smooth. It does make a nice touch for someone that shoots, but maybe not for everyone. 9mm he thought.

Re: A unique drawer

#2

Opportunity

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

Got some cherry harvested from a farm in Carlisle, PA.

Several pieces had bullets, about .45 cal. Upon inquiry I learned that the tree had suffered several hits when a small party of "braves" attending the Carlisle Indian School (late 1800's) broke out, got drunk, and shot up several farmsteads. Nobody hurt and they all got returned to the school, but that's the story and the farmer's grandson is stickin' to it.

Obviously, I tried to leave the slugs in the wood but they came loose. The holes, however, are still in the items made.

:D

Re: A unique drawer

#3

Adam of Oakland

How did the saw blade cut after biting the bullet?

Adam of Oakland

Bandsaw blade?

I like the effect of the sheared bullet, nice touch

Re: A unique drawer

#4

Re: How did the saw blade cut after biting the bul

Ian Neuhaus

Lead is pretty soft -- it's only military loads that are steel jacketed.

Re: A unique drawer

#5

Re: A unique drawer

TM Stock

I like it - forever fated to be a conversation piece.

Re: A unique drawer

#6

Re: A unique drawer

Lee Schierer in McKean, PA

My Dad built a gun cabinet out of walnut and while planing one of the boards, on a planer with brand new blades he noticed some shiny spots on the surface of the board. Thinking he hit a nail he checked the blades for nicks and after finding none he checked the shiny spots. They were lead pellets from a shotgun. He left them in the board and they are part of the cabinet.

I have several small pieces of oak with bullets in them that I have found.

Lee

Re: A unique drawer

#7

Re: How did the saw blade cut after biting the bul

John K Jordan

I cut into a big block of walnut once to prepare a bowl blank. First cut exposed a several embedded bullets. Subsequent cuts about 1/2" thick exposed more and more bullets. Probably at least 50 before the block was gone. I just happened to cut to expose the bullet trails through the wood - you can see how new layers of wood grew over the earlier bullets, with newer bullets on top. I saved all the slices - I thought it might make an interesting box.

As far as I could tell the bandsaw blade was not affected by all those bullets.

JKJ

Re: A unique drawer

#8

Re: How did the saw blade cut after biting the bul

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

Bandsaw blades are capable of sawing annealed steel(at low speed). Copper and lead present to obstacle, nor aluminum either.

Re: A unique drawer

#9

I Like the bullet, but could you....

Barry Irby

explain the drawer? Are we looking at a slip?

I have turned several bowls with bullets. Also one with copper wire that was part of a clothes line.

Re: A unique drawer

#10

Re:Ha! Look what I found today.

Hank Knight

[url=https://postimages.org/][/url]

I thought if I ever hit a bullet or a piece of shot with my SawStop, it would trigger the safety shutoff, but it didn't happen. Looks to be two #4 or #6 shot and a #4 buckshot. I wonder how they came to be so close together in the same tree.

Re: A unique drawer

#11

Re:Ha! Look what I found today.

Philip Duffy

Its a common double barrel shotgun; first the buckshot to knock him down then the slug to finish him off.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.