WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Wood Movement, Large Dowels

Posts

Wood Movement, Large Dowels

#1

Wood Movement, Large Dowels

Don Stephan

An interesting question was posed yesterday when a person called to asked about 5 1/2" diameter x 18" long wood dowels used to pull through assembled large wire conduit, to check for burrs and similar that might damage the outer jacket of pulled cabling. (It was explained that the dowel would be painted, and any scratches in the paint would indicate the presence of one or more burrs.)

The caller suggested that ideally the dowel would be within 1/16" of the inside diameter of the conduit. But if the "average" amount of total annual seasonal movement is 1/8" per foot of width, a 5 1/2" diameter dowel would have an "average" amount of total annual seasonal movement of almost 1/16", the desired tolerance.

The solution at first seemed to be finding a tree with small radial and tangential rates of shrinkage. Looking through this table in Bruce Hoadley's excellent book Understanding Wood, southern magnolia seemed a good answer, but of course it's not a commonly available kiln dried hardwood, at least in Cincinnati.

Some thought was given to making a glueup to minimize annual seasonal movement. But it doesn't seem likely that gluing several flat, rift, quartered, or even a combination together to get 5 1/2" of total width would reduce annual seasonal movement. Then some thought was given to a glueup of four 3" x 3" x 18" pieces, but again it doesn't seem likely to reduce significantly annual seasonal movement.

So I'm wondering if there is a solid wood option for this? Is a lamination of several pieces of baltic birch plywood, or exterior MDF, the only solution? Each of these would be very unpleasant to turn.

Re: Wood Movement, Large Dowels

#2

Re: Wood Movement, Large Dowels

Brian Holcombe

I can't understand why they would not use metal with a layout dye. It seems like wood is an odd choice here.

That said a crossgrain glue up might help minimize not only wood movement but distortion.

In my opinion I would think it best to have it laid out so that the end grain looks like an Irish cross with the legs being rift sawn and the radiused connections also being rift sawn.

Re: Wood Movement, Large Dowels

#3

Re: Wood Movement, Large Dowels

Dick Coers

Yes, aluminum pipe would be the obvious choice. If I had to do it in wood, I'd use a barrel stave lamination.

Re: Wood Movement, Large Dowels

#4

I'd go with Honduras Mahogany

Keith Newton

Your badly overthinking the seasonal movement, if it's kept in a plastic bag or other sealed container when it isn't in use, there won't be change. However if it's used daily outside, you might also seal the endgrain with epoxy, since the endgrain is most prone to changes.

Re: Wood Movement, Large Dowels

#5

Re: Wood Movement, Large Dowels

Sgian Dubh

Cooper joint a wooden tube out of perhaps six or eight staves around 12 - 16 mm thick and assemble using masking tape and/or rubber bands using urea formaldehyde adhesive, a non-creeper, although PVA type glue would probably do. Spin it to size on a lathe. That might do the trick, although I'm not sure wood is the right choice for all the expansion contraction reasons you mention, even in a coopered item. Slainte.

Re: Wood Movement, Large Dowels

#6

Re: Wood Movement, Large Dowels

John K Jordan

I think I'd use PVC or some other plastic.

JKJ

Re: Wood Movement, Large Dowels

#7

Re: Wood Movement, Large Dowels

Don Stephan

I suggested a plastic that would hold the indicating paint. Coopering with quartersawn lumber is an interesting idea. They have always used wood (unknown species) from a California supplier that has closed.

Don't know if "proofing" assembled runs of conduit is an industry practice or one used just by this cable company.

Re: Wood Movement, Large Dowels

#8

Radial movement is about 1/2 Tangential

Ian Neuhaus

The caller suggested that ideally the dowel would be within 1/16" of the inside diameter of the conduit. But if the "average" amount of total annual seasonal movement is 1/8" per foot of width, a 5 1/2" diameter dowel would have an "average" amount of total annual seasonal movement of almost 1/16", the desired tolerance.

I'm thinking that if the dowel is turned from a billet containing the center of the tree, almost any species will do.

Average radial shrinkage -- green to dry -- is 4%. At EMC annual radial movement is possibly well under 1%, or around 25 thou. I sat "possibly" as I am not that familiar with North American woods.

A quarter sawn billet should also be satisfactory.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.