WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Sorta OT Soldering? Brass

Posts

Sorta OT Soldering? Brass

#1

Alan Young

Sorta OT Soldering? Brass

Alan Young

I am working on a small cabinet. The upper part of the door for the cabinet is a glass panel covered by a brass grill. The grill design calls for brass made from 3/16 x 3/8 stock. I am wondering how to join the pieces -- can brass be Soldered? Also the best Brass alloy to use-



Re: Sorta OT Soldering? Brass

#2

Re: Sorta OT Soldering? Brass

Barry Irby

Yes.

But I don't know if there is any solder that will match the brass. I think it will be gray or silver. Also, you will have to be careful not to discolor the brass with the heat. Silfoss or some such thing might work, but requires high heat.

Re: Sorta OT Soldering? Brass

#3

Jack Guzman from Maine

Re: Sorta OT Soldering? Brass

Jack Guzman from Maine

Alan,

I have welded steel sheet using brass rod and a torch . I don't know but see no reason why you couldn't weld brass together with a torch and some kind of flux. Brass welding rod is sold at auto parts stores and welding supply stores. I used an oxyacetylene torch with a small tip.---Jack

Re: Sorta OT Soldering? Brass

#4

Re: Sorta OT Soldering? Brass *LINK*

Hank Knight

Alan,

Solder is probably the best (simplest) way to join brass to brass. If you try to join two pieces of brass together with a brass rod (brazing), you're likely to end up with a mess since the rod and the brass workpiece have the same or almost the same melting point. If soldering is done properly, you'll have very little gray or silver solder showing. Here's a YouTube video that might help:


Soldering Brass

Re: Sorta OT Soldering? Brass

#5

Nice design!

Tony-Memphis

I have used a colored wax product to hide the solder joints before. Stained glass "stuff" might be a source of info as well. I used the copper tape method to make a window.

Tony

Re: Sorta OT Soldering? Brass

#6

Re: Sorta OT Soldering? Brass

John McGaw

Soldering brass is not difficult -- pretty easy actually. In my youth, slot cars were a big thing and invariably those of us who wanted the fastest cars made our own chassis, usually brass, and wound our own motors, with silver alloy when it could be had. We used nothing but regular flux that a plumber might use on copper pipe but we were not interested in neat -- just strong and heavy. I do know that brass instruments are assembled using solder to join the various straight and bent tubes and the joins are invisible there so there must be some trick to make that work.

I just did a quick Google search on soldering brass and there are loads of videos and instructional pages on the subject. Have you looked around?

Re: Sorta OT Soldering? Brass

#7

Alan Young

Thanks all-Very Helpful info...

Alan Young

watched that Muggy Weld video then several others- Contacted Muggy Weld for more info- we'll see what happens...My concern now is the overall weight- Will need some beefy but not obnoxious hinges so the door doesn't sag...

-Alan

Re: Sorta OT Soldering? Brass

#8

Re: Thanks all-Very Helpful info...

John K Jordan

I've soldered a lot of brass, silver solder for strength and for thin-wall brass I have even used solder made for electronics. Good flux is important. While brass rod is used for brazing steel, I agree that trying to braze brass with brass rod could be a disaster. The filler metal needs to have a lower melting point than the base metal.

There are low-temperature solders that are brass colored but I've never used them. Seems like I read that you could color silver solder with chemicals after use. I saw someone color steel by using a wire brush on hot metal - I wonder if that would work for silver solder.

One message in this thread appears to have some info you might explore.

https://orchid.ganoksin.com/t/brass-colored-silver-solder/28092

JKJ

Re: Sorta OT Soldering? Brass

#9

Re: Thanks all-Very Helpful info...

Brian Holcombe

Alan, can you use tubing on the rays?

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.