WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Down cut router bit question

Posts

Down cut router bit question

#1

Down cut router bit question

Barry Irby

There is a local tool reseller. I stopped in yesterday and rummaged in his "junk drawer". He deals mostly in metal working tools but ended up with a box of router bits and other woodworking odds and ends.

I bought an Onsrud 57-325L solid carbide 3/8" end mill. It was mislabeled and at the time I did not realize the "L" meant it is left hand. I bought several from him in the past that did not have the "L" and they work very well in a router.

I started this post wondering if I could use it as a downcut spiral bit but now realize the sharp edges of the flutes face the wrong way. In order for this to cut, the bit would have to be rotating counter-clockwise. Do milling machines run in both directions? Have I completely misunderstood what I have? Or is this a tiny boat anchor?

Re: Down cut router bit question

#2

Re: Down cut router bit question

John C Lucas

Milling machines do.run in both directions.

Re: Down cut router bit question

#3

Re: Down cut router bit question

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

mount it in a stick and it will be a dandy scraper burnisher

Re: Down cut router bit question

#4

Re: Down cut router bit question

Barry Irby

Excellent Idea. I have essentially nothing in it so this will be a good use for it.

Also got one of those countersinks for wood that looks like a cone with a hole drilled through it. Works great.

Re: Down cut router bit question

#5

Re: Down cut router bit question

John McGaw

And if you had a Robland (or some other Euro combination machine I suspect) it would work in the horizontal mortising rig. Although my Robland came with 'mortising' bits which seem to be nothing more than LH end mills it can run the chuck in both directions but since it is at the end of the jointer head it is inherently a LH machine.

Re: Down cut router bit question

#6

Re: Down cut router bit question

Barry Irby

John, this is a very nice LH end mill 3/8" in diameter and about 3" long. If you like to have it and can use it, I will send it to you.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.