WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Secret compartment questions

Posts

Secret compartment questions

#1

Secret compartment questions

Barry Irby

I have built chests of drawers for both of my grandaughters. Across the top are three shallow drawers for jewelry(?). They are about 9 1/2 by 16". It occurred to me that I could "fix" the drawers so they would not come all the way out and the last four inches could be a concealed compartment.

What say you? Any suggestions on HOW?

Re: Secret compartment questions

#2

Re: Secret compartment questions

Derek Cohen (in Perth, Australia)

Hi Barry

I done this a few times using Quaker Locks ...


The last one was this: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/SofaTableAllTheWayToCompletion.html

Another here:

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/TheDevilLiesInTheDetails.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Re: Secret compartment questions

#3

PICS?

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

We have been hearing about this project for years. Where's the Pics?

Re: Secret compartment questions

#4

Re: Secret compartment questions

Ralph Lipeles

My grandfather was a furniture maker/restorer. He always made a secret compartment when space and design allowed it. The compartment that I remember best was a small wooden box made out of 1/8" stock where one surface stuck out about 1/4" on each side. The pieces that went on the furniture were 1/2" square stock with a 1/4 by 1/4 section removed along it's length. There were 2 of them. They were attached to a vertical part of the furniture at the bottom of the unit. With them in place the compartment was slipped in place and that's it.

Re: Secret compartment questions

#5

Seldom used

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

I have added this feature to a few things and the owners never use these compartments. I'll never go out of my way to add a secret compartment unless the prospective owner demands it.

Re: Secret compartment questions

#6

Re: Secret compartment questions

Tony-Memphis

I say yes! Especially for the young ones - I would think they would appreciate a secret place to store their treasures. I have seen some reference to "false back" drawers, but I can't recall where. Spring stops/catches, flip stops, etc. can be employed. Some have a latch that is actuated with a paper clip stuck through a hole.

I built a chest for me a few years ago. The top has a large open space (hard to explain). Anyway, I ended up making a dovetailed box that attaches to the underside of the top with magnets. I forget it is there. I'm afraid I'll forget completely. Oh well, it might be a nice discovery for someone someday.

Tony

Re: Secret compartment questions

#7

Re: Secret compartment questions

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

" I forget it is there. I'm afraid I'll forget completely. "

like I said....they don't get used. ;)

Re: Secret compartment questions

#8

Re: Secret compartment questions

jcousins

many years ago i built a highboy for my grandaughter - she was pretty young at the time - maybe 10 or 11 - i put 2 secret spaces in it - one on the interior of the lower side wall and the other behind the crown molding up top. i told her and her parents about them but did not tell them where.

i wrote a message in each one - took some time but they did find them.

it was a fun detail to figure out.

jerry

Re: Secret compartment questions

#9

Bah, humbug!

AZ in Colorado Springs

I Incorporated an extra compartment into a table I made for my daughter and SIL as a wedding gift. They discovered it about three years later. I put a card and $20 in it. They were pleasantly surprised. Now I'm building a coffee table for them and I'm going to fashion a different compartment so they have to search for it.

Re: Secret compartment questions

#10

Re: Great Idea! Wish I'd thought of it.


👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.