WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Soft close drawer slides

Posts

Soft close drawer slides

#1

Soft close drawer slides

Dustmaker Mike

Howdy All

I am about to start working on my kitchen cabinets to get them up to the 2000's. I am going to clean and refinish the cabinet bases because they are in good shape. The doors will be taken off and redone with soft close hinges.

I was measuring the drawer slides to see what size I needed to buy to replace them. This leads to my question. I want full extension soft close guides. I measured the cabinet base at 24 inches and the drawers at 20 inches. So what size guides and other hardware do I need? I am getting the house ready to sell so I am not looking for the best, but I don't want junk so any brands to buy or stay away from? I will need 6 sets total

Thanks

Mike

Re: Soft close drawer slides

#2

Blu-Motion (Blum) . .done


Re: Soft close drawer slides

#3

what size?

Dustmaker Mike

I am getting lost in the sizes. Also do I need a piece to attach to the back of the cabinet base?

Thanks

Re: Soft close drawer slides

#4

Ellis Walentine

Re: what size?

Ellis Walentine

For 24" deep base cabinets, you want the 21" tandem blumotion slides. If you're using existing cabinets, I strongly suggest having some production drawer shop make up all new drawer boxes to go with the slides, as they won't fit onto your original boxes. The Blumotion slides require only a 3/16" gap between the sides of the box and the inside of the cabinet opening, and the slide model depends on the drawer thickness and whatever vertical adjustments you want. 563H is the model I used recently on my kitchen and vanities. You don't need anything to attach to the back of the cabinet.

Ellis

Re: Soft close drawer slides

#5

Thanks

Dustmaker Mike

well I think I am going to have to rethink the way I do this.

I was thinking the side mount style might work. I have not installed any of these styles and trying to figure out what is what, and what is needed is making my head hurt.

Re: Soft close drawer slides

#6

I think this is what you want, *LINK*

Keith Newton

Although you don't give enough information of what you have in there already. If your drawers are 1" less than the opening, then these will replace them without building new boxes. Now, don't get me wrong, I like the newer bottom mount slides better, but since you mentioned selling, this will make the job easier. Blum and all the major brands make side mount like these, but they don't hold up as good over the long run.

even if your boxes are only 21'' it won't hurt if the slide is longer than the box so long as the cabinet part has that much length.


http://www.homedepot.com/p/Liberty-22-in-Soft-Close-Ball-Bearing-Full-Extension-Drawer-Slide-1-Pair-942205/205171305

Re: Soft close drawer slides

#7

That is what I was thinking

Dustmaker (Mike)

the opening is 1 inch wider then the drawer box. I have the cheap euro slide style with one nylon wheel on the drawer side and one in the mount on the box. There is about half inch or so face frame before the side of the box. I have not really played with these before so I am not sure of the correct terms.

You are correct in me selling so I want to keep cost down but not cheap.

Thanks

Mike

Re: Soft close drawer slides

#8

There is a local supplier.....

Barry Irby

selling to cabinet shops that sells full extension runners for $5/6 each. They may not be soft close (?) but they are better than what you had for 20 years. I would shop around and would not pay $18 a drawer for a house I am selling. No one checks the drawer function when buying a house and if they do they will never say "I am buying this house because it has fancy drawer runners."

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.