WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 β€” 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Palm Sander Scratch Pattern

Posts

Palm Sander Scratch Pattern

#1

Palm Sander Scratch Pattern

Doug Reynolds

I have a Porter Cable Mdl #330 palm sander. What quality scratch pattern does it leave in hard wood with 220 grit - good enough to go straight to dye or, should I hand sand with 220 grit as a last step?

Does it make any difference which direction the sander goes i.e., is the scratch pattern circular or linear?

Thanks, Doug

Re: Palm Sander Scratch Pattern

#2

Re: Palm Sander Scratch Pattern

Barry Irby

I have a Porter Cable ROS and like it, but I believe you have a 1/4 sheet sander. I don't know what the pattern is. As is always the case, the best bet would be to sand a scrap of the same wood and stain it. And its often a good idea to hand sand in the direction of the grain and examine the work under a strong single point light raking across the piece. Also a good idea to wet the surface to raise the grain and then sand the fuzz off. Learned that again recently the hard way. Skipped that step on one of several pieces. Really a noticeable difference on cherry.

Re: Palm Sander Scratch Pattern

#3

Re: Palm Sander Scratch Pattern

Bruce, a MN Galoot

It’s leaves teenie little circles. Hand sand after.

Re: Palm Sander Scratch Pattern

#4

Re: Palm Sander Scratch Pattern

Dick Coers

I've used 330s for decades. Never hand sanded after 220. I've watched tv woodworkers throw hand sanders around the wood like a hand sanding block. Instead, you should keep a smooth slow pace and let the sander work. Much better results!

πŸ‘ This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.