WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Tools

Posts

Tools

#1

JL

Tools

JL

My niece's husband wants woodworking tools.

He has a crowded garage and no real place for any "large" shop tools.

What do y'all suggest for power tools?

I provided him a list of suitable hand tools and suitable hand power tools.

I am not quite certain as to what to recommend for the larger "semi-stationary" tools.

Would y'all think he could get by with a track saw and a compound miter saw? As for planers and jointers, he definitely doesn't have the space for any decent sized ones. I am unsure of his power beyond the standard 110V.

Re: Tools

#2

Ellis Walentine

Footprints

Ellis Walentine

Hi JL,

Thinking about a track saw got me to thinking about the actual footprint you need for a real tablesaw. Likewise with jointers and planers. The infeed and outfeed areas required for these machines don't vary much with the size of the machine. If he has room to set up a track saw operation, he probably has enough room for a small tablesaw. And, as for jointer/planer function, how about finding a little Inca combination machine. Mine joints and planes pieces up to 10" wide yet has a short bed and a small footprint. An alternative would be a roll around cart with a benchtop jointer and a lunchbox planer.

A lot will also depend on the kind of stuff he's going to be cutting and the budget for new equipment.

Ellis

Re: Tools

#3

Clarification

jesse cloud

Beg to differ with your version of the footprint for a tracksaw operation.

When I use a tracksaw, I do it on my bench, with next to zero additional footprint and no infeed or outfeed. Initial breakdowns of sheet goods are done outside on sawhorses.

When the tracksaw is not in use, it is stored in a cabinet with other tools and the track itself hangs from a nail on the wall.

Having said all that, I still agree with you that he probably needs a table saw, even if a small one.

Re: Tools

#4

Ellis Walentine

Re: Clarification

Ellis Walentine

You're right. I was thinking of a dedicated track saw table, which can be as large or larger than a tablesaw. For ripping longer boards, you still need enough room for the length of the board.

Thanks for clarifying.

Ellis

Re: Tools

#5

Re: Clarification

Barry Irby

I can't believe I am about to say this. First, You/we/he needs to get a grip on what he wants to do. And now for the unthinkable. I have scoffed at Festool for years. Could not believe the price. Then I got some, at auction, for about half price. Examine the working concept. Designed to set up, use and put back into the Systainers. Give them a look.

Aside from that I would look at a contractors TS with a good fence. A jointer, and a lunchbox planer. Again, I have scoffed, but I think I would look really had at the Sawstop TS and I would put a router table into the wing. I have a tiny shop and wheels don't do my a lot of good. There is nowhere to roll stuff to, but some people like them. I have them and don't use them.

I also have a Drill press, Bandsaw, Belt/disk sander, lathe, RAS, and miter saw. I forgot, I also have A Performax and a double drum sander.

A huge amount of thought and effort went into shoehorning all this stuff into a one car garage and leaving enough room for me and the project.

I have to open the door on the garage to rip anything over 5'.

Re: Tools

#6

Re: Tools

Thomas Skaggs, Foothills of Mount Level

You did not indicate what the garage was "crowded" with. But maybe project #1 is building things to store and organize the "crowd" more efficiently. The reward would be more space to pursue woodworking as a hobby.

My other suggestion is to put tools, tool bases and even benches on locking wheels. It is the perfect way to move tools around to make space for various operations. As Ellis mentioned, infeed and outfeed become issues. Being able to move the tools to achieve infeed/outfeed is very handy.

T.

Re: Tools

#7

Re: Tools *LINK*

Keith Newton

Rather than starting with a small stationary jointer, I would much rather have a large hand held power-plane which can store under the workbench. I clamp mine in a vice which has a little extra length on the face pads that drop down about 3/4" to support the front knob, and clamps the other handle. With a fence added, it acts just like a regular jointer.

But when I need to edge or surface large planks, I clamp the board and hold the tool, so it is much better than a small stationary tool in that respect.

Having been a professional woodworker for ~40 years, this is a tool that goes out to job sites, even though Ive got larger equipment in the shop, I wouldn't be without one. The smaller power planes don't come close to these.


https://www.amazon.com/Makita-1806B-10-9-4-Inch-Planer/dp/B00004YOD2

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.