WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

OT- vehicle brake question

Posts

OT- vehicle brake question

#1

OT- vehicle brake question

Tom Norton

I am going to replace the rotors on my wife's Ford Fusion. I see some rotors have 2 screws/bolts that hold the rotors on. How critical are these? It seems that they might be primarily used as an installation item at the factory.

Re: OT- vehicle brake question

#2

Re: OT- vehicle brake question

Mark Nowicki

Not an automotive engineer, but more of a bean-counter by education.

The bean counter part of me says if not needed why go to the trouble of drilling the disk, and drilling and tapping the hub.

Ford would have probably used a disposable barbed washer if it was only to help during assembly.

Re: OT- vehicle brake question

#3

Re: OT- vehicle brake question

Tony-Memphis

I'm not sure if it is the same thing, but my Z had something similar on the original rotors. I bought replacements from Nissan and they were not there (been a while - details are fuzzy) - nor were the holes.

Tony

Re: OT- vehicle brake question

#4

Not to install but to

Dustmaker Mike

those screw holes are there to help pull the rotors when they get stuck on the shaft, in the salt belt. If you are down south, or don't get much rust I wouldn't worry about them. Up here in NE Ohio I make sure they are there.

Re: OT- vehicle brake question

#5

Ahhhh...

Tony-Memphis

Knew there had to be a reason!

Re: OT- vehicle brake question

#6

Remove them

Hoa in Alameda

On all of my vehicles, I remove them the very first time I have a chance (e.g. tire rotation).

I don't think they serve any practical purpose, except probably for assembly at the factory.

I learned from my experience: on one of the cars I bought used, when working on the brakes, I had to use an impact driver to remove them. Never again.

Re: OT- vehicle brake question

#7

Re: OT- vehicle brake question

TomD

If the holes in your rotors are tapped with threads, then they are there to jack the rotors off, which can be a real bear.

Some anti-seize in the right places can also help. The wrong places would be those on the braking surfaces or likely to run into them.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.