WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

bandsaw pulleys

Posts

bandsaw pulleys

#1

bandsaw pulleys

mike mcnerney

I want to upgrade my 14"delta BS from a 3/4 hp to 1 1/2 hp

I have to drop it down to a lower place on the stand because this motor is 2" longer. The problem is that the closest I can get the 3" motor pulley to the stand is still 1" further out than the BS pulley itself. One thought I had was to replace the 6" BS pulley with a double 6 which would get it within 1/4" of the motor pulley. Or try it as is & see what the vibration is like & how long the belt last.

It is also conceivable that I can move the BS on the open pyramid type stand 1" closer to the back of the stand?

Mike McNerney

Re: bandsaw pulleys

#2

Re: bandsaw pulleys

Dick Coers

Is there room to move the bandsaw on the stand? Drill new holes and move it over? Adding a 2 belt pulley, and letting half of that overhang the shaft, may present an issue with keeping it tight on the shaft.

Re: bandsaw pulleys

#3

Re: bandsaw pulleys

TM Stock

Faced with the same issue, I built a lower stand from scrap 3/4" ply, poplar, and angle iron from a discarded bed frame. Most folks thought the base was cast iron...

Re: bandsaw pulleys

#4

Re: bandsaw pulleys

mike mcnerney

I could move the BS on the stand & that is the direction I am thinking now.

That wood stand is fantastic. I also wonder about shaft extentions. They do exist but my guess that won't be true enough.

MM

Re: bandsaw pulleys

#5

Re: bandsaw pulleys

TomD

That is a beautiful stand! I am always thinking I will make a wooden stand for some of my tools, because as a boat builder, I can wle dany thickness of ply into any shape, with full continuity of load paths. But the project that really needed it has never presented itself, so far. I like the way yours looks like a pre-war cast base.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.