WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

OT- Garage Door Lubricant

Posts

OT- Garage Door Lubricant

#1

OT- Garage Door Lubricant

Tom Norton

What do you fellows use for lubricant on garage door rollers and hinges? I see that PD Blaster has a specific lube.

Re: OT- Garage Door Lubricant

#2

Re: OT- Garage Door Lubricant

Bruce, a MN Galoot

I used the PB stuff, and it made a big difference on noise. I cleaned all the old gunk out first.

Re: OT- Garage Door Lubricant

#3

Re: OT- Garage Door Lubricant

Dustmaker (Mike)

Yup the PB blaster works great. I treat my rollers and hinges once sometimes twice a year. Clean them first and spray away.

Re: OT- Garage Door Lubricant

#4

Re: OT- Garage Door Lubricant

Tom Norton

How do you go about cleaning them?

Re: OT- Garage Door Lubricant

#5

What is PB blaster and where to be found

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

Sounds like something I could use, but never encountered it before.

Re: OT- Garage Door Lubricant

#6

Re: What is PB blaster and where to be found

Bruce, a MN Galoot

I got it at Menards, but I don't know if you have those in Tenn.

Re: OT- Garage Door Lubricant

#7

Re: What is PB blaster and where to be found

John McGaw

Amazon has it -- $8.54, a few pennies of which goes to WC.

Re: OT- Garage Door Lubricant

#8

Re: What is PB blaster and where to be found

Tom Dunlap

Any big box or hardware store should have PB products

PB Blaster has several different compounds.

I've found that the rust penetrant is second best to Aero Kroil

Cleaning garage door rollers isn't any difference than any other grease cleaning.

Solvent...scrub...elbow grease..rinse...repeat...lubricate

Re: OT- Garage Door Lubricant

#9

Re: What is PB blaster and where to be found

Pete in Holland MI

A few drops of oil (30 or 40 wt) on anything that moves. Once every couple years. Door is cycled 2-5 times per day. Door still working fine after 30 years.

Don't overthink it.

Re: OT- Garage Door Lubricant

#10

Re: What is PB blaster and where to be found

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

I have just been spraying mine with aerosol grease.

Re: OT- Garage Door Lubricant

#11

Re: What is PB blaster and where to be found

Bruce, a MN Galoot

So many times I have wished I had a parts washer...

What I had wasn't PB Blaster but one made specifically for garage doors.

Re: OT- Garage Door Lubricant

#12

Re: What is PB blaster and where to be found

John K Jordan

White lithium grease in a spray can for me.

For cleaning/degreasing I buy spray cans of brake cleaner by the case at auto parts stores. I look for it on sale, take two cans to the register, then ask about buying a case. Almost always get a little more knocked off that way.

JKJ

Re: OT- Garage Door Lubricant

#13

One way to clean the rollers .  .  .

Tom Colligan

I just did mine by taking one out at a time. Use an electric drill and spin them in a jar of kerosene or whatever you have. Let them dry well. I settled on while lithium as the other product seemed too thin. The door was much quitter though I also cleaned the rails.

Re: OT- Garage Door Lubricant

#14

Re: OT- Garage Door Lubricant

Dustmaker (Mike)

Someone said it already. Brake Clean I get the cheap stuff on sale also. I spray the rails and clean them once really good then when ever it looks like they need it. I lube mine twice a year only because I have it and think about it. I spray the springs also.

Re: OT- Garage Door Lubricant

#15

Re: What is PB blaster and where to be found

Tony-Memphis

I have to admit, I was reading this and wondering what I was missing. My door is 20 years old and I've never cleaned anything. I have sprayed the spring and the rollers once or twice maybe. Actually, my rollers are white plastic with ball bearings - not sure I'd want to do a full cleaning on them in fear that I'd make them worse!

Re: OT- Garage Door Lubricant

#16

Re: What is PB blaster and where to be found

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

If you kept a spotless shop would understand the need to keep you garage door mechanisms clean and lubricated. :)

I sprayed mine once or twice with aerosol lithium grease over their 25 year life.

Re: OT- Garage Door Lubricant

#17

Re: What is PB blaster and where to be found

TomD

The only time I used PB Blaster, it was recommended for unseizing a 4 cycle lawn mower engine that had run dry on oil, when a plastic plug to the sump, on the underside, dropped out. It did unseize, but it never started.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.