WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Bar Height Question

Posts

Bar Height Question

#1

Bar Height Question

Barry Irby

I am helping a friend remodel a house for his daughter and SIL. (SIL is in the Guard and is in the Virgin Islands handing out food and water. 50% are grateful and the other half are resentful)

The daughter wants a hole through the wall into the kitchen at bar height. Wants a stone top in the opening to serve as a bar to dine on. My question is, what is the proper height for a bar?

Re: Bar Height Question

#2

How tall are they?


Re: Bar Height Question

#3

Re: Bar Height Question

Keith Newton

42" is what I've always used, unless they are short or ask for less.

Re: Bar Height Question

#4

They are about 5' 6" and 5' 10"

Barry Irby

42" is what it will be. That's what I thought. Thanks.

Re: Bar Height Question

#5

Re: They are about 5' 6" and 5' 10"

Keith Newton

For that height, if they plan to sit on stools or belly up to the bar, I'd probably go lower. However if it just to pass food through, maybe higher.

I like to have them stand and hold a beer mug out with their elbow on the imaginary bar while I measure from the floor to elbow.

Re: Bar Height Question

#6

Re: They are about 5' 6" and 5' 10"

Larry

Been making Bars for years, 42 inch

Re: Bar Height Question

#7

How About

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

if you ask the lady what kind of seating she will use? If she says regular chairs or "bar stools" your question will be answered by the customer's preference.

Re: Bar Height Question

#8

Re: How About

Barry Irby

The problem with that is she is strongly opinionated but has no idea what she wants. You may know the type. "Make me one of these, exactly like this drawing. I have been watching HGTV and got this from them." So you make it. "NO!, that's not what I thought I wanted, what did you do with that drawing? I'm going to ask somebody else."

She is also completely inexperienced. Fresh out of nursing school and living with Mom and Dad. Kinda Sorta knows what she wants but no idea how to get there, but will know it when she sees it, Maybe. She certainly knows what she doesn't want.

Re: Bar Height Question

#9

Re: Bar Height Question

Brian Holcombe

40-42" is good, I prefer 40 myself.

Re: Bar Height Question

#10

Re: They are about 5' 6" and 5' 10"

C. John Hebert

yup ;-)

Re: Bar Height Question

#11

That's Exactly

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

the reason for the question about the seating which will determine the height of the bar. Of course, if she actually saw it on HGTV you can search for the episode and find out enough to do the plan. Since you have a visually challenged client, you'd do well to pull up photographs of different bar heights with chairs/stools in place. Have her sign which one she wants.

BTW, you'd best get a deposit to cover your materials costs in case she stomps off to find someone else who can read her "nevermind."

Re: Bar Height Question

#12

Re: Bar Height Question

George Koch

My answer would be, 12" higher than whatever chair/stool height she intends to use at it. George

Re: Bar Height Question

#13

Re: Bar Height Question

jesse cloud

And get the stone before you make the cut out. The only relevant measurement in the end is the top surface of the bar. I once underestimated the extra height of the stone and mortar and was in deep trouble with the 'boss' for weeks.

Re: Bar Height Question

#14

Mock it up with somehting

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

Mock it up with something so the client can experience the height. The optimum height will depend on stool height if it is to be sat at.

Re: Bar Height Question

#15

Re: That's Exactly

Barry Irby

I am not doing this for the money, just helping out a friend and his daughter and SIL are the beneficiaries. At least I hope they feel like the beneficiaries. Would that I could do this for my sons.

They got this house at foreclosure for $80K, will spend about 40 on it and it's assessed at $219K. That's almost a $100K "profit" on paper at least. Could have turned it around for $20k but they/she has champagne taste. I'm not sure champagne adds much to the value.

Re: Bar Height Question

#16

Re: Mock it up with somehting

Barry Irby

Good idea. I suggested to her father we take a bar stool and some plywood and let her see it in person and sit at the bar. Thanks for the suggestion.

Re: Bar Height Question

#17

Champagne Taste

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

but a seltzer budget.

Just make sure you're not the bar tender. ;)

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.