WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Incra I-Box Jig - cutting depth

Posts

Incra I-Box Jig - cutting depth

#1

Incra I-Box Jig - cutting depth

David Lykins

A couple of years ago I was making a watch box for a good friend of mine, my brother-in-law had gotten an Incra I-box-jig so I thought I'd try it on my watch box. Long story short, I was using wood that was about 3/4", however his I-box jig would NOT cut a depth of 3/4". Incra states that it will do up to 1" spacing on the joints, however I haven't been able to find anything on how deep of a cut you can make.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: Incra I-Box Jig - cutting depth

#2

Re: Incra I-Box Jig - cutting depth

David Yoho

David, I have not used mine enough or very recently to know the answer for you. However, the inventor of that dandy jig hangs out here and will hopefully see your post and respond with the answer soon.

Re: Incra I-Box Jig - cutting depth

#3

ebd

Re: Incra I-Box Jig - cutting depth

ebd

If you are not using your jig, do you want to sell it? I made myself a perfectly good set of jigs for box joints so buying a new one isn't in the cards. I might be interested in a used one though.

Re: Incra I-Box Jig - cutting depth

#4

Re: Incra I-Box Jig - cutting depth

David Yoho

It's a very accurate box joint jig once set up. Although I don't use it every day, it's one of those jigs that's good to have when you need it. I don't want to get rid of mine.

Re: Incra I-Box Jig - cutting depth

#5

Email Sent

David Yoho

I sent Alan, the inventor, an email about your question. Hopefully he will respond here.

Re: Incra I-Box Jig - cutting depth

#6

ebd

Re: Incra I-Box Jig - cutting depth

ebd

I understand perfectly. I knew it was along shot but worth asking just in case.

Re: Incra I-Box Jig - cutting depth

#7

Re: Email Sent

David Lykins

Thanks, I look forward to seeing what he says about it. Would LOVE to get one but if I can't cut 3/4" deep it wont work for some of my needs. I did make a jig, it was sort of a pain and I went through a bunch of pine to get it set up correctly. It looked easy on YouTube......LOL

Re: Incra I-Box Jig - cutting depth

#8

I'm here, I'm here!

Alan in Little Washington (NC)

Sorry, I didn't see this sooner.

I haven't used my jig lately either and I find at my advanced age, I can't remember stuff as well, however I do have a production and a few prototype IBOXes laying around the shop that I can examine and measure to refresh my memory. Plus I can give you a few ideas how to extend the capabilities of the IBOX.

First, the width of the fingers is limited to just a tad over 3/4" (not quite 1"?) It was done that way for two reasons- (1) most stacked dado blades and many TS arbors are limited to 3/4" wide and (2) attempting to make a 3/4"+ deep, through cut with a large straight or even spiral router bit can be a bit "interesting" to say the least! That being said, I made a minor modification to one of the prototypes and slowly, very carefully, and extremely nervously successfully used the IBOX to cut 1-1/8" wide fingers in poplar on a router table with a large rabbeting bit with bearing removed!

Finger length/socket depth is limited by the adjustable stock ledges, height of the fence cut-out to 1." I just confirmed that by measuring my production IBOX. Also, a small diameter dado blade which can't be raised sufficiently may also limit finger length. That being said (again), it is a simple matter to modify the IBOX to cut longer fingers (>1")- just increase the height of the blade cutout- file it or slowly and carefully nibble it higher using the saw blade. If you have a small diameter dado blade, it may be possible to remove the adjustable stock ledges to get an extra bit of height. The problem with this technique is that without the stock ledges it may be hard to position narrow stock perfectly vertical and the stock may be inadequately supported at some point along the joint. Use a square to help position the stock and clamp it securely!

Disclaimer- I am not an official representative of INCRA, so I am speaking for myself. You should always follow the manufacturer's operating and safety instructions and should never modify tools or machinery.

I still love my IBOX! (my pitch)- Over the years, I went through all the various types of DIY box joint jigs- single size, replaceable pins, screw advance, etc. etc. While I could get most of them to work at least once, repeatability from session to session was never guaranteed. Part of the problem was trying to set the dado to the exact thickness. That started my successful quest for something better. The beauty of the IBOX is that it doesn't care what your dado is set to- it can be a perfect 1/4" or .2387" or .2459", it just doesn't matter because you set the IBOX to kerf made by the blade, whatever that may be, with direct transfer. One issue- if calibrated and set "perfectly" the IBOX is likely to make a joint that is a tad too snug- no room for expansion or glue. Or if you aren't careful, the joint may be too loose. But all can be fixed with a touch of micro! Once you are comfortable and repeatable setting the IBOX pins to the kerf, you may find that each time you set it if you automatically add just a tad of micro (+/- .003", etc.) you will get a perfect joint and don't need a test cut. If you don't use it enough then usually just one test cut is all that is required.

I hope this novel helps.

Re: Incra I-Box Jig - cutting depth

#9

Re: I'm here, I'm here!

David Lykins

YES!, that helps quite a bit....Thank you. I also got a response back from Incra and I'll post that.

Thanks a bunch, I knew I could find the answer here at WC.

Re: Incra I-Box Jig - cutting depth

#10

I got my answer -  Incra I-Box Jig - cutting depth

David Lykins

Just got this from Mark at Incra;

"Hi, David -

The I-Box has no problem with 7/8" thick lumber (which is the deepest cut) and cutter widths between 1/8" and 3/4" (therefore, 3/4" is the max spacing). Let me know if I can address any questions on the jig or its applications - 888.804.6272 xt 4.

Best regards,

Mark Mueller

Field Operations Manager

Thanks everyone for your input.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.