WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Drawers nearly done

Posts

Drawers nearly done

#1

Drawers nearly done

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.



Well, done enough to show the overall appearance. For divided drawers I like to get the fronts from a single piece so that the grain flows across the fronts. I found some arched grain for the top row.

The arched drawers are actually easy to do. I cut the front to snugly fit, place it behind the arched molding and mark the arc on the front. Then it is a simple matter of band sawing to split the line and planing out the teeth marks. The parallel teeth marks provide depth gauge for the planing. When they are gone-done. The whole operation can be completed in a few minutes, much less time than it takes to do the dovetailing.

Re: Drawers nearly done

#2

Re: Drawers nearly done

Chuck Kettler

Looks great!! Losing your woodworking guidance was my biggest loss when I left E TN.

Re: Drawers nearly done

#3

Re: Drawers nearly done

John b.

Bill, when i look at your well built chest of drawers. What i see are eye brows followed by the vertical drawer divider, then i see the matching flowing grain on the drawer faces. John b.

Re: Drawers nearly done

#4

Re: Drawers nearly done

Stuart Johnson

Every project should be broken down into the smallest step possible and built from that point. I don't have the skill to break yours down like that let alone make the build in as short time as you. If you had to make guess how many hours do you think you will have when you are done?

Re: Drawers nearly done

#5

Re: Drawers nearly done

Hank Knight

That looks nice, Bill. Pretty walnut.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.