WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

OT- vehicle brake question

Posts

OT- vehicle brake question

#1

OT- vehicle brake question

Tom Norton

I typically do the brake jobs on our vehicles and after 21,000 miles my wife's Ford Fusion may need some attention.

What I am noticing is when driving a slight turning off the steering wheel will cause a bit of rubbing sound to occur. It almost sounds like pad to rotor noise.

But would appreciate input.

Thanks!!

Re: OT- vehicle brake question

#2

Re: OT- vehicle brake question

Mark Nowicki

Does the noise stop or changes when you apply the brake?

Any pulsing or vibrating in steering or brake pedal?

Re: OT- vehicle brake question

#3

Re: OT- vehicle brake question

Dustmaker (Mike)

Brakes maybe not. There is a backing plate behind the brake caliper that might cause it but I doubt it. I would suggest jack up front end place on jack stands. Turn each wheel check for play. I bet more on a CV joint or tie rod then a brake part.

Right front CV joint is my bet. How many miles? 21000 should be covered under 5year/ 50,000 power train warranty.

Re: OT- vehicle brake question

#5

21,000 is pretty early for brake issues

Dick Coers

Unless you live in Chicago!

I had to laugh the other day bicycle riding. I see just the steel backer of a disc brake pad laying on the street. Just how the hell does that end up on the street? A lot of stuff would have to go bad to duplicate that scenario! Unless it fell out of a garbage truck.

Re: OT- vehicle brake question

#6

Re: 21,000 is pretty early for brake issues

Tom Norton

Yes,21k is not very long but I notice that the "mid-range" quality parts I get don't seem to last very long . I will check the dust cover/shield.

Thanks

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.