WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Wave cabinet

Posts

Wave cabinet

#1

Wave cabinet

Svante Nilsson

Hi,

Below are some photos of an ash cabinett. First I intended to have the doors cooping inwards, but after the doors were made they seemed to look better as a wave...

Finished with 3-4 coats of superblond shellac and wax.



Re: Wave cabinet

#2

Re: Wave cabinet

Henry (Raleigh NC)

Nicely done.

Krenov design influences are pretty clear for this type of 'cabinet on a stand' piece.

I do like your interpretation, especially the wave symmetry/asymmetry aspect.

Henry

Re: Wave cabinet

#3

Re: Wave cabinet

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

The pulls/knobs are of interest. Will you supply a sharp picture of them and describe how made and attached?

I like the doors. The heartwood may fade over time....mine did.

The dovetails I like less. I think the way Krenov put cabinets like this together wound up with a better outside appearance. Ditto on the inside. I find the exposed dovetails distracting from an otherwise lovely interior. It would be easy to face the drawers with rift ash.

Re: Wave cabinet

#4

Re: Wave cabinet

Thomas Skaggs, Foothills of Mount Level

Interesting piece. I like the scale of the cabinet and stand. The interior confuses me a bit. Is there a designed purpose for the drawers and ledges? Or just done as a design whim? If you made it for your own home then it is irrelevant. But if it's made for sale then I'd say from years of experience that customers seem to stray away from functional elements that they feel are not useful for their various needs.

The workmanship looks very good.

T.

Re: Wave cabinet

#6

Re: Wave cabinet

HC Sakman

Wonderful exquisite work....

Chico

Re: Wave cabinet

#7

I like it a lot, but

Keith Newton

As much as I like figured wood, it looks like a lot of grain runout up there in the joints where you really need all the structural integrity that you can get on those long fine legs. If you have a housekeeper make sure they know not to ram the legs with the vac. And if you have little kids or grands, you might be thinking about a clever way to attach it to the wall.

Re: Wave cabinet

#8

I quite like it . . .

Yonak

. . . including the inside which I feel is very original.

Re: Wave cabinet

#9

Re: Wave cabinet

Svante Nilsson

Hi,

I make the knob slightly oversized (1/2"). The recess is made by file and smothen with sandpaper. I rout the drawer front after fitting. The knob is sanded to fit before gluing and made flush with a small plane.

I make some final sanding and although I really try to sand the dark and light wood separately some micrograin of the dark wood contamin the ash and it looks dirty...

The other photos sent have too much contrast, the one below represent the colour better.

Re: Wave cabinet

#11

Ellis Walentine

Lovely work

Ellis Walentine

Thanks for posting your cabinet here, Svante. The Krenov influence is crystal clear, and your execution looks flawless. Your patient way of working is also exactly what Jim was teaching, in his understated way.

I think you've gotten some thoughtful and relevant feedback here. I hope you will create a gallery page in our Member Gallery (link at left) for yourself. I'd like to see more of your stuff.

Ellis Walentine, Host

Re: Wave cabinet

#12

Re: Wave cabinet

Michael Wilkins

Really fine woodworking.

James Krenov would be proud.

Re: Wave cabinet

#13

BEAUTIFUL! TY for posting. NM


👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.