WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Table leg half laps

Posts

Table leg half laps

#1

Jack Guzman from Maine

Table leg half laps

Jack Guzman from Maine

I have been given a repair project. It is an old curly maple table with no legs. The client provided three leg pieces and no idea how they went together. I figure it was an X shaped pair of legs combining half laps joining each pair of legs with a cross bar mortised into the center of each half lap.

and a close-up of the half lap

I posted a couple pictures of what I have, in what I believe are their relative positions to the table top. The upper half of the legs was mortised into cleats attached to the underside of the top. Unfortunately the upper halfs are missing.I need a picture of a complete set of legs in this style to get a better idea how to recreate these legs.

What would you call this style of table?---thanks---Jack

Re: Table leg half laps

#2

Demilune table?


Re: Table leg half laps

#3

Jack Guzman from Maine

More info

Jack Guzman from Maine

I guess I need to be a little more clear. The sketch is my guess at the shape of the completed leg system. Sorry I don't sketch very good.


Re: Table leg half laps

#4

Re: More info

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

I think your sketch describes the original design of the table. It has a Duncan Fife (spelling?) look about it. What is the motivation for recreating it? It appears that the top is the only part left that can be rescued. With that the case what does it matter what kind of legs it gets under it? They could even be legs that would last if someone sat on the table. T e original design is only suitable for a tray stand.

Re: Table leg half laps

#5

Jack Guzman from Maine

Re: More info

Jack Guzman from Maine

The top is some very nice figured maple with breadboard ends and edging. The client wants me to try to get it as original as possible. It is her hobby to refinish old furniture. I'm just to do repairs.

Re: Table leg half laps

#6

Re: More info

Barry Irby

Jack I understand her wanting to go back to the original, but you have discovered the flaw in the design. Stylish and attractive, but not very strong. Nice design, bad Engineering. I think I agree with Bill. Your repair will never be "Original".

Re: Table leg half laps

#8

Jack Guzman from Maine

bingo

Jack Guzman from Maine

Tony,I think that is pretty much what I need to build. Scissor leg. thanks

Re: Table leg half laps

#9

Jack Guzman from Maine

maybe but...

Jack Guzman from Maine

I've run into this scenario before when repairing chairs. Some designs were destined to fail, but I won't try to improve on the design. My job is is to reproduce the original and I'm going to attempt to,flaws and all. I think it is an interesting look even though it is weak.

I will post a picture of the finished table. thanks---Jack

Re: Table leg half laps

#10

Regency

Thomas Skaggs, Foothills of Mount Level

That style was used during the Regency period. If you search, you can find examples of Regency tables with a scissor form like this:


Re: Table leg half laps

#11

Re: Regency

Barry Irby

Jack, if you laminate those arches, they would be much stronger.

Re: Table leg half laps

#12

Re: More info

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

If the legs aren't salvaged it is not a repair; its a new table. But the customer is always right. Keep the patterns. If someone sits on it you will be doing another repair.

Re: Table leg half laps

#13

Jack Guzman from Maine

Re: Regency

Jack Guzman from Maine

I agree. I was laying out a possible pattern for one leg and noticed that the weak point is right at the center joint.Not sure how that will work but I will explore the possibility.

Re: Table leg half laps

#14

Another thought....

Barry Irby

You could install a "spider" on the inner side of each leg or even embedded into the legs. In this case that would be an X brace possible with a hole in it to accommodate the stretcher.

They (spiders) were common under the bottom of tables with posts and three or four legs dovetailed into them.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.