WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Attaching wooden drawer pulls question

Posts

Attaching wooden drawer pulls question

#1

Attaching wooden drawer pulls question

Barry Irby

I am making wooden drawer pulls to use on the cherry chests of drawers I am building for my Granddaughters.

How would you attach them?

I have thought about drilling into the back and threading the holes with a tap and screwing in threaded rod with epoxy. Then use nuts counter-bored into the back of the drawers.

I considered getting threaded inserts. Wood threads on the outside and machine threads on the inside. Then I could use machine screws to fasten them onto the drawers.

I suppose hanger bolts are an option.

I suppose I could just glue them onto the fronts of the drawers.

Any insights?

Re: Attaching wooden drawer pulls question

#2

I'd use a #10 threaded insert

Dick Coers

But, I really hate installing them. You can get a fair amount of chip out when they start in the wood. So I do a heavy countersink to limit that. There is a brand called EZ lock. It's a brass insert, you tap it in, and expands when you thread in the bolt.

Re: Attaching wooden drawer pulls question

#3

Jesper, Denmark

Re: Attaching wooden drawer pulls question

Jesper, Denmark

Why make it complicated?

Drill holes in the drawers and pilot holes in the pulls, and screw in from the back.

Re: Attaching wooden drawer pulls question

#4

I am concerned about splitting the pulls...

Barry Irby

I made them out of very straight grained quartersawn cherry. I am afraid they will split. That's why I was thinking of inserting them very gently with epoxy That's why I was also searching for the "standard" spread. If they fail over time they could be replaced with store bought ones.

Re: Attaching wooden drawer pulls question

#5

Second

Paul Leuba

Jasper's approach makes it very easy to install, and then if it's ever necessary to replace them it will be a straightforward job.

Re: Attaching wooden drawer pulls question

#6

Re: Attaching wooden drawer pulls question

Bruce, a MN Galoot

I agree, and you can even make a crude tap from the same size screw you're using. Run that tap into the hole in the knob a few times and splitting will be no problem.

Re: Attaching wooden drawer pulls question

#7

Re: I am concerned about splitting the pulls...

William Duffield

If I were worried about splitting, I would use hanger bolts, and install them in the cherry before shaping the pulls.

For standard spacing, I assume you meant between two screws in one pull, not between two separate pulls? If so, I would do some research in the Lee Valley hardware catalog.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/home/OnlineCatalog.aspx?id=cc5e8ab8

Re: Attaching wooden drawer pulls question

#8

Re: Attaching wooden drawer pulls question

HC Sakman

I agree to not to make more complicated. Just make proper/precise pilot holes to prevent splitting.

Chico

Re: Attaching wooden drawer pulls question

#9

Ellis Walentine

Re: Attaching wooden drawer pulls question

Ellis Walentine

I've attached knobs and pulls with sheet metal screws and machine screws. On pulls with two screws, the hole spacing is not standard, at least in my experience.

Ellis

Re: Attaching wooden drawer pulls question

#10

Re: Attaching wooden drawer pulls question

ken combs

I'm late to the party but: drill holes from the front of the drawer using a Forstner bit. Blind hole, just deep enough to take a threaded insert and not show on the inside.

Drill a hole in the knob from the back large enough to accept a machine screw to match your threaded insert. That can be either threaded or bored for clearance to slip the screw in with a little epoxy to retain it.

Cut an 'all thread' of the correct length from machine screw stock or longer screws.

Epoxy into the knob, screw into drawer.

Takes longer to type than to do.

Re: Attaching wooden drawer pulls question

#11

Re: Attaching wooden drawer pulls question

Barry Irby

Thanks Ken.

It took me a few seconds to understand how your idea would work. Because these pull will have two screws. They are horizontal pulls not knobs.

One of my favorite ways to attach a knob is to drill a very shallow counterbore hole in it the will barely accept the head of a round head brass screw and then drill and tap a hole for the shaft of the screw the rest of the way through. Screw in the the screw with a little epoxy on the last of the threads under the head and recess the screw head slightly into the counterbore. Using the shaft of the screw to mount it on the lathe cut away the slotted part of the screw head leaving a polished brass disk in the center of the knob. Then use the brass screw sticking out the back of the knob to mount it on the drawer.

And you are right, it takes about as long to describe it as it does to do it. Thanks again.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.