WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

pin nailer, thumbs up

Posts

pin nailer, thumbs up

#1

pin nailer, thumbs up

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.


I bought a pin nailer from someone leaving woodworking, well, because it was cheap. Regret not owning one as soon as they became available. I nail drawer sides together to mark and cut the dovetails together. I wondered if these tiny pins would hold. I put 4 in. After sawing the tails I was barely able to separate the sides.

The pins have a hot melt adhesive coating which melts and then fuses after the pin is driven. The 0.020" diameter pin then holds times stronger than any shiny brad. It is remarkable. They can be pulled out with pliers only with difficulty.

I have also used this nailer to fasten on trim. The holes are nearly invisible.

The cluster of stuff beside the nailer are the pins after I pulled them out of drawer sides.

Re: pin nailer, thumbs up

#2

Second

Gary Smyth

I have Grex P635 23 Ga. It is used often. Works fine on a one lung compressor 70 to 100 lb pressure. Drives up to 1 3/8 pins accurately and so far, never a misfire. Has a safety trigger which can be a pain but better safe than a misfire before ready.

Re: pin nailer, thumbs up

#3

Re: Second

TM Stock

Awesome for glazing work on doors...no need to fill brad head dimples..they disappear.

Re: pin nailer, thumbs up

#4

Re: Second

William Duffield

A 23 ga. headless pin nailer and Titebond No Run No Drip (Molding and Trim) glue is a winning combination. The pins are less visible on the surface than heavier brads filled with putty.

Re: pin nailer, thumbs up

#5

a vote against the glue

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

I have removed enough nailed molding over the years to appreciate that it was not glued. I would argue that glue is unnecessary.

Re: pin nailer, thumbs up

#6

Re: Second

TM Stock

I love the pin nailer for stain-grade glued trim work like multi-part crown, but having had to pull glued shoe molding and (worse yet) glued-in-place glazing strips on a glazed bookcase door, I'd stick with just the nails on anything that is destined to be removed for routine maintenance or planned upgrades.

Re: pin nailer, thumbs up

#7

Re: pin nailer, thumbs up +1

Barry Irby

I have the obviously cheap Harbor Freight version and like it. I wonder if any of the more expensive versions would leave less of a mark? This one leaves very little evidence behind.

And, don't glue in the sticking.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.