WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

3M PPS System

Posts

3M PPS System

#1

3M PPS System

Stuart Johnson

Is there some trick to getting the screw lid holder to thread properly? I Just spent a good half hour or longer screwing around with two holders (1 lacquer and one thinner) trying to get them to threaded on properly. I'm sure the pros using this system don't mess around like I just did.

Re: 3M PPS System

#2

Re: 3M PPS System

Barry Irby

Stuart, I have the PPS spray gun, but have not used it enough to make friends with it. I am a little unclear on exactly which part you are asking about. The lid on the cup? Press the top on firmly and screw the ring on. The assembled cup onto the stem on the gun? Turn the gun upside down with the cup sitting on the counter top and Press the stem down firmly and turn it a quarter turn.

Go to You tube and look it up, lots of good videos there.

Re: 3M PPS System

#3

Re: 3M PPS System

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

You must have some defective thread on one part of the other. I Never had an issue screwing the parts together.

Re: 3M PPS System

#4

Re: 3M PPS System

Stuart Johnson

Barry, it is the ring that holds it all together.

Bill, that is what I thought but when it is from two different starter kits I thought it was something I was doing wrong. Now I'm wondering if maybe I messed with it long enough the lacquer started to dry/gum up. I'm going to give everything a good cleaning. I haven't used the system that much but don't remember having this problem when I sprayed some paint.

Re: 3M PPS System

#5

Re: 3M PPS System

Barry Irby

Stuart, the ring about 3 or 4" in diameter that holds the lid on the cup?

There is a hard cup and a soft liner and a hard cover with filter and the aforementioned ring. Right??

Insert the soft liner, insert the hard cover and screw on the ring? Check to be sure you have the soft liner and the cover inserted fully. There is some friction. Wipe the threads. Run a fingernail around both of them checking for burrs.

What have we missed?

Re: 3M PPS System

#6

Re: 3M PPS System

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

Something is not right about your parts. The threads are exceptionally coarse and they engage easier than any thread you will ever encounter.

Finish should never come in contact with the threads. If your threads are mucked up with finish it is a result of some improper use of the cup.

Re: 3M PPS System

#7

Re: 3M PPS System

Stuart Johnson

some improper use of the cup

Bill, I think you are correct. I'm going to make sure they are both good and clean and make sure I don't over fill the disposable cup.

Thanks for pointing out this system to start with and then for the help.

Re: 3M PPS System

#8

Re: 3M PPS System

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

I don't mean to overstate this point but the threads could not be easier to engage. If a 3 year old can't do it something is not right with the threads- defective, contaminated, I don't know what, but not right.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.