WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Hanging residential doors question.

Posts

Hanging residential doors question.

#1

Hanging residential doors question.

Barry Irby

I helped a friend buy a house at foreclosure for his daughter and SIL. It had hollow core lauan mahogany doors. She wanted them replaced with the paint grade molded six panel doors. Also wanted the bifold closet doors replaced with double swinging doors.

Today I went out there and replaced the nine swinging doors. Turns out the new doors are full width and the old doors were about a 1/4" undersized. I had to dress them down. Turns out the frame inside the doors is so thin/narrow that if you dress all of it off one side, there isn't much left to screw the hinges to. The doors were pre-bored for the locks/door knobs. Can't take much off that side or you lose the setback for the locks.

Then it turns out the openings were not square. Had to dress the doors enough to insert them into the openings and check the fit across the top. That meant cutting enough off the bottom to get them into the openings. If you cut too much off the bottom, you cut the frame off and have to redo it.

The end result of all this is it took me eight hours to hang nine doors. Does that seem reasonable? I felt like I was in slow motion all day. Still got to back and address the three closets.

Re: Hanging residential doors question.

#2

Re: Hanging residential doors question.

Mark Nowicki

About how long it takes me when I hung doors in our Canadian rentals.

Typical North American construction and garbage products. Trying to polish a turd is exhausting and time consuming.

If they are going to paint anyway, it would have been easier and faster to install pre-hungs, but given the extra cost is a not a consideration for the chea.. , sorry, the frugal crowd.

Re: Hanging residential doors question.

#3

Re: Hanging residential doors question.

John K Jordan

What a job. I've installed a LOT of doors and I don't enjoy it too much!

I've cut down off-the-rack big-box doors when the clients budget required it and they are all junk. Spent hours cutting and gluing new wood inside hollow interior doors where the trimming exposed the inside or made the solid wood too thin. Horrible stuff.

In your case with the non-standard sizes I would be strongly tempted to rip out the frames and trim the wall studs if needed to slide in a standard size prehung door. That way the next time the door needed to be replaced it would be a trivial job.

When I replaced all the doors in my last house it was easier for me and a better result to rip out all the frames and start with the bare walls. I milled red oak and built new frames from scratch, installed the doors, installed custom-built oak doors, then milled oak for all the baseboard and window frames/sills. I liked the way it looked.

(I used to have more energy! :) )

I'm real particular about my doors. When we sold that house the guy told me later that what convinced him to buy that house over others was the doors. He said he was impressed by the effortless "snick" when they closed, every one, and with no slop!

JKJ

Re: Hanging residential doors question.

#4

Re: Hanging residential doors question.

Bruce, a MN Galoot

I'd say you did pretty well, or at least as well as the situation allowed. Pre-hung would have been faster, but you didn't get to do the choosing. A few years back, I hung a door in my son's house, existing frame, nothing square, door too long, had to cut hinges and lock mortises. My son's reaction was that he didn't know it would take so long (in spite of the fact he'd never done it and I've hung lots).

Re: Hanging residential doors question.

#5

Re: Hanging residential doors question.

George Koch

Barry, Like the others I'd say you did well. Jobs like that, you have to take as much time "as it takes"! and, nothing goes smoothly in retrofitting. Remember on the three bi-fold openings that is six more doors to hang and those openings have never had swinging doors hung in them and are probably not standard height nor width. Just my 2 cents! George

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.