WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

powermatic 66 table saw tilt problem

Posts

powermatic 66 table saw tilt problem

#1

powermatic 66 table saw tilt problem

bill gray

I am experiencing difficulty in the tilt on this saw and its failure to go to a full 45 degree tilt; at about 43 degrees the worm and trunnion become disengaged and will not complete the 45 angle; the adjustments mentioned in the manual are simply to create a fuller engagement of the worm and trunnion up and down and do not adjust to keep the trunnion on the worm; as I study the problem i am now believing that the trunnion on my saw has been tampered with and will not ever engage as it should at the 45 angle...curious if any one else has encountered this problem.

Re: powermatic 66 table saw tilt problem

#2

Re: powermatic 66 table saw tilt problem

Keith Newton

Have you flipped it over on its top so you can see into the works while you crank it? There will be a bolt with a listing nut to adjust the stoping point. If it's hitting that, obviously screw it in more.

Make sure there isn't something in the front and back arcing groove that the reunion rides in, and lube them with something that doesn't attract dust.

As for the handwheel > shaft > worm-gear, you will be able to see where the problem is by cranking it while you are looking down into it a lot easier than looking up.

Re: powermatic 66 table saw tilt problem

#3

Re: powermatic 66 table saw tilt problem

john lucas

Bill I immediately thought about the 45 degree locking screw but figured you had been a wood worker long enough to know better than that. I will be glad to come over next week some time and try to figure it out.

Putting that saw on it's tip would be at least a 2 man operation if it's anywhere near as heavy as my Grizzy cabinet saw but we should be able to figure out something by looking. At the worst may have to remove the top to fix the problem which of course would require some blade alignment after that.

Re: powermatic 66 table saw tilt problem

#4

Midnight hoodlums?

Dick Coers

as I study the problem i am now believing that the trunnion on my saw has been tampered with and will not ever engage as it should at the 45 angle

Someone broke into your shop and tampered with the trunnion? Those evil sneaky bastards! The first unisaw I bought came from a metal working shop. It was a bargain, but I had not, nor even seen close to the abuse that machine endured again! The table top had thousands of dings in it from metal dropping on it. The trunnion and just about everything under the table was full of aluminum shavings. And craziest of all was the abuse on the rack and pinion. The pinion was almost worn to a nub. Moral to the story, it can be a nightmare under the table. Vacuum, clean, lube and adjust often!

Re: powermatic 66 table saw tilt problem

#5

Re: powermatic 66 table saw tilt problem

bill gray

Thanks for your thoughtful reply; I have not gotten so desperate as to dismantle the saw and turn it upside down as yet may do so if/when i get a new trunnion...

Re: powermatic 66 table saw tilt problem

#6

Re: powermatic 66 table saw tilt problem

bill gray

Thanks John will be in touch and see you Monday evening...

Re: powermatic 66 table saw tilt problem

#7

Re: Midnight hoodlums?

bill gray

Think it has had the problem for some time I just had not encountered this issue before...thanks

Re: powermatic 66 table saw tilt problem

#8

Re: Midnight hoodlums?

john lucas

Just make all your joints 60 and 30 degrees and the problem will be solved. :)

Re: powermatic 66 table saw tilt problem

#9

Re: Midnight hoodlums?

bill gray

John that is a novel idea if i ever heard of one

Re: powermatic 66 table saw tilt problem

#10

I'm thinking.....

Barry Irby

that if the worm will disengage for the gear, something has shifted.

Is the worm welded or forged onto the shaft? If not, is there a set screw that holds it in place? Could the gear have changed it's relationship with the blade/trunnion? I am assuming that when it was built the trunnion and gear had the proper relationship and something has moved.

Re: powermatic 66 table saw tilt problem

#11

JL

Re: powermatic 66 table saw tilt problem

JL

I don't even want to think about how much labor it is to install a new trunnion.

Re: powermatic 66 table saw tilt problem

#12

Here's the parts list *LINK*

john lucas

Looks to me like everything is adjustable unless the casting is bent.


https://www.ereplacementparts.com/powermatic-10inch-table-saw-parts-c-32549_32640_202027.html

Re: powermatic 66 table saw tilt problem

#13

Re: powermatic 66 table saw tilt problem

Joseph Mulherin

Bill Gray....is the table saw a 10" or a 12"......there are pictures and product numbers to buy from at Ereplacements.com. A thought....I am thinking that the set screw for the gear part has loosen and needs to be reset. If the shaft has been gouged a little so the screw travels...I would remove the screw and set the saw blade to the positive 45 degrees and redrill the shaft with a small drill....then replace the setscrew with a longer point one on the end....that way the gear will stay at the 45degs. and blade will be always correct.

Just my rambling thoughts......

Re: powermatic 66 table saw tilt problem

#14

Re: powermatic 66 table saw tilt problem

bill gray

thanks for your thoughtful comments still working on the issue

Re: powermatic 66 table saw tilt problem

#15

Re: Here's the parts list

bill gray

Saw is ten inch

Re: powermatic 66 table saw tilt problem

#16

Re: I'm thinking.....

bill gray

Worm gear is not welded I do not think

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.