WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Old foam board and formaldehyde

Posts

Old foam board and formaldehyde

#1

Old foam board and formaldehyde

Malcolm Timbers

I just bought a lot of used old foam board that was common years ago. It has a black felt-like paper coating on both sides and is a mustard colour foam. I was wondering if this stuff off-gasses formaldehyde in a worrisome amount. Mostly, I will be using it to insulate a pump house and greenhouse and RV skirting. But I may want to use some in the house But won't if formaldehyde is a problem with this stuff.

Re: Old foam board and formaldehyde

#2

Re: Old foam board and formaldehyde

Barry Irby

IF the foam ever had formaldehyde it would have out gassed within a month or two or its manufacture.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.