WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

What Grit Do You Stop Sanding Figured Board

Posts

What Grit Do You Stop Sanding Figured Board

#1

What Grit Do You Stop Sanding Figured Board

Chad P

I'm sanding a figured bubinga slab for a dining room table top. I intend to top it with an oil based gloss finish. I do not intend to use any stain (pigments or dye).

Does anybody have any advice on what grit to stop sanding. Is there a point where you the grit is too fine and you start losing some of the contrast that you're looking for? Any advice would be much appreciated. I've promised SWMBO a table for Thanksgiving.

Re: What Grit Do You Stop Sanding Figured Board

#2

Clint Searl

180-220, but no higher. 


Re: What Grit Do You Stop Sanding Figured Board

#4

Re: What Grit Do You Stop Sanding Figured Board

Jim Dillon

Chad, I use the same sanding schedule as Clint and Bill stated generally stopping at 220 on flat grain and 320 on edge grain. For the past half dozen years, following ROS, I have hand sanded with the grain using the final grit 220/320. I also try to remember to wear a dust mask when hand sanding. Good luck with that table top as I'm sure it will be gorgeous. Jim

Re: What Grit Do You Stop Sanding Figured Board

#5

Re: 180-220, but no higher.

John McGaw

Yeah, 220 sounds about right. I've been known to take sanding of small turned objects made of ultra-dense woods up to 1200 but that would be wasted on a flat surface that will be receiving a film-forming finish. As someone else pointed out a final light hand sanding with the grain can make a huge difference.

Re: What Grit Do You Stop Sanding Figured Board

#6

Re: What Grit Do You Stop Sanding Figured Board

joe mohnike

On table tops I will go to 320 in most cases, especially if it is a dining room table. I find I get a better finish and less color change when top coating. I do not like to use stains or dyes and the best reason for me is that just about all wood surfaces will get dinged. When this does happen just a minor sanding and touch up is all that is necessary, no color matching involved.

Re: What Grit Do You Stop Sanding Figured Board

#7

Re: What Grit Do You Stop Sanding Figured Board

Sgian Dubh

Bubinga is moderately or medium coarse in texture, so there's little point going beyond 180 grit. Finer than that and the grit particles are smaller than the voids at the wood's surface. As others have suggested, it might be worthwhile following up random orbital sanding at 180 grit with a bit of hand sanding following the grain, although the aesthetic or visual gain is probably negligible. Slainte.

Re: What Grit Do You Stop Sanding Figured Board

#8

The reason to hand sand.....

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

.....even if the machine sanding is perfect. Hand sanding results in scrutiny of every sq. inch of the surface. Dull places that are catching dust because the grain is still torn are apparent and can be worked out. Any other defects are similarly revealed. I think, therefore, that hand sanding is an essential part of a fine finish.

Re: What Grit Do You Stop Sanding Figured Board

#9

Re: What Grit Do You Stop Sanding Figured Board

Chad P

Thank you everyone. I believe I read here a long time ago that sanding figured wood too finely results in burnished end grain (and thus a less figured board). It is good to reconfirm that advice. I appreciate everyone taking the time to answer.

I threw some alcohol on it last night just after finishing at 100 grit. Results are below.


Re: What Grit Do You Stop Sanding Figured Board

#10

WOW!! Gorgeous!!!


👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.