WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Short(ish) power cords?

Posts

Short(ish) power cords?

#1

JL

Short(ish) power cords?

JL

Lee Valley sent out a recent email on 15' 12 gauge power cords.

I more or less put outlets around the perimeter of my shop. I don't have a call for power cords except for the planer - which I usually run in the middle of an open space, away from the walls - and my ROS - which suffers from not long enough cord.

To all appearances - this is a good deal.

Is it worth the shipping cost? I really don't need anything else from LV right now.

Re: Short(ish) power cords?

#2

Re: Short(ish) power cords?

Bill Houghton, Sebastopol, CA

Your local hardware store may offer them, too; or you can whittle your own with SO cord and cord ends. Do some price comparisons with those approaches before deciding.

Re: Short(ish) power cords?

#3

Re: Short(ish) power cords?

Bruce, a MN Galoot

I have two that I made maybe 18 years ago, 12 ga and 15'. One feeds my tablesaw and the other supplies a multiple outlet box on my assembly table. I like them because they're short enough not to get in the way, and the power losses are much less than a longer cord. I almost never move them, maybe once in 18 years.

Re: Short(ish) power cords?

#4

Checked to compare.

Gary Smyth

Sale at Lee Valley is $11.50 w 120v connectors, plus shipping to your door. Lowes sells 12 Ga.cord at 1.18/ft. Connectors are in addition. plus, of course, your labor and travel.

Re: Short(ish) power cords?

#5

Jack Guzman from Maine

Re: Short(ish) power cords?

Jack Guzman from Maine

I recently built a pair of 10 ga. four outlet extensions for a contractor friend.The cost was a surprise.The parts were expensive. That is a good deal,even with shipping.---Jack

Re: Short(ish) power cords?

#6

I have a couple of them

Henry Higginbotham

I bought a couple last time they had some, and found them to be good cords. As others have mentioned, making your own can get pricey . . . unless you find lightly used Hubbell plugs and connectors for a good price. I've bought lots of them at flea markets and Saturday trade-days for $1-2.50 per piece. Then, you've got a better cord.

Re: Short(ish) power cords?

#7

Re: I have a couple of them

Alan in Little Washington (NC)

I prefer power cords (and extension cords) with molded plugs. I have many 120v and 240v outlets around my shop, but where I had a WW machine with a cord that was too short for its intended fixed or temporary location, I didn't use or "make" an extension. Instead I bought an extension cord of the proper gauge with the correct molded plug, cut off the receptacle and any excess cord, then used it to replace the cord supplied with the machine. The cost was/is usually less than the cost of making an extension cord (like building a car from parts :\ ) especially since you are not buying both a receptacle and plug and I don't need and extension cord. Instead, I have a power cord that is much more durable (with molded in strain relief) than most cords with add-on plugs and receptacles.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.