WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Big Walnut

Posts

Big Walnut

#1

Big Walnut

Hank Knight

I'm starting what will, for me, be a long build: a walnut slant top desk. I went to Pennsylvania a couple of weeks ago and bought some wide 5/4 walnut for the sides, top and writing surface. I took them to a friend's millwork shop yesterday and had them dressed on his big equipment. Thought I'd share the big board with you. It's curly black walnut 16" X 1 1/16 (dressed) X 10'. It's a beauty.

[url=https://postimages.org/][/url]

Two more boards. These are 13" wide by 7 1/2" long:

[url=https://postimages.org/][/url]

Now I've got to decide how to cut them up.

Re: Big Walnut

#2

Nice Score

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

looking forward to the product

Re: Big Walnut

#3

Re: Big Walnut

John K Jordan

Nice! I saw the picture first and thought you were building a walnut workbench!

Would be classy. :)

JKJ

Re: Big Walnut

#4

Re: Big Walnut

Thomas Skaggs, Foothills of Mount Level

Cutting them up sure sounds like a real headache. You might go nuts trying to decide about it. Might be dangerous too. I am willing to jump on that grenade for you. Just send it all to me. Generous to a fault as I am, I'll even pay for shipping. Easing the burdens on others....it's what I do.

T.

Re: Big Walnut

#5

Alan Young

I'm More generous than Tom

Alan Young

I will drive over and pick them up myself-no shipping/wrapping prep require by you at all.

Re: Big Walnut

#6

Is this a generosity contest?

John K Jordan

I just pulled a forgotten air dried walnut slab from my shed, four of them actually, 4/4 and 8/4, natural edge, up to 18" or so. But alas, they only look to be 8 or 9' long or I would have them in the truck already and be on my way to both of you guys. Oh well.

JKJ

Re: Big Walnut

#7

Re: Big Walnut

Hank Knight

Thanks, Tommy! You are, indeed, generous to a fault. :) Had I read this two hours ago, l might have taken you up on your offer; but I just finished marking the boards up and I'm ready to cut. I'll have to admit, though, I am a little wistful when I think about sawing these beauties into pieces.

Re: Big Walnut

#8

Re: I'm More generous than Tom

Dave Bair

You'll have to hurry, Michigan is going to ban the import of walnut to stop the thousand cankers disease from spreading here. Let's hope they do a better job than they did with Ash.

Re: Big Walnut

#9

JL

Very nice score.


👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.