WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Lunch box planer questions

Posts

Lunch box planer questions

#1

Lunch box planer questions

Barry Irby

I have a Dewalt planer that uses the resharpenable blades. I fiddled with the infeed and outfeed tables trying to eliminate snipe. i tipped them up. Made things worse. Tried to lower them back down. Did not help. Now the planed surface is not flat. Have the equivalent of snipe and worse along the whole board.

I am considering using a piece of melamine full length and width as a bed rather than continuing to fiddle with the adjustment. What say you? is this a good idea? Anybody tried it?

Re: Lunch box planer questions

#2

Re: Lunch box planer questions

Bruce, a MN Galoot

I had a Delta lunchbox planer for many years and used the melamine bed thingie, actually a laminate covered piece of particle board. It made a difference. You have to be careful, though, because using the melamine means that the side guides will not work.

Re: Lunch box planer questions

#3

Re: Lunch box planer questions

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

Sounds like your knives need to be reset to be precisely aligned with the both the plattan table and each other. If even one knife is a tad high (or low) on one end you'll never get the thing to run properly. Your machine should have come with a knife-setting jig. Once you have the knives set in the cutter head, cut a block of wood that precisely fills the gap between the plattan and the knives on one end of the head at a given elevation. Then move the block laterally to check that the knives are, in fact parallel with the plattan across the full width. If you've set the knives properly but there's even a tiny gap or resistance between the top of the block and the knives, you have a cutter head issue that needs to be addressed.

Once that is done, try using roller stands a foot or more out from your machine that are set 1/8" higher than your plattan surface. Set them with a long straight edge, like a 4' level. This will put modest upward pressure on your board to help control it.

Re: Lunch box planer questions

#4

Thanks to both of you

Barry Irby

I had not thought about losing the edge guides. I will give that more thought.

Mark, I will try your suggestion. I did change the knives recently. I sued the setting blocks, but may have made a mistake. Will double check. Thanks.

Re: Lunch box planer questions

#5

It's all your fault.....

Barry Irby

I'm blaming you!

I checked and rechecked. Fiddled with the blades. Several times. Finally thought I had it. Went back over the bolts being sure they were snug. OOPS! One of them went soft on me and I had wrung it off.

Stopped at Fastenal and bought new ones. They were metric.

I fiddled with the tables again.

When I get back home I will install the new bolts and give it a shot. I was reluctant to run it without the last bolt.

Re: Lunch box planer questions

#6

Re: It's all your fault.....

Hank Knight

Ouch! Nothing is ever simple.

Re: Lunch box planer questions

#7

Cohen's Corallary

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

gets you every time

Re: Lunch box planer questions

#8

Edge guides

Steve jenkins

If you decide to go with the melamine just glue a strip of hardwood on each edge so it sticks up a bit above the melamine

Re: Lunch box planer questions

#9

Re: Edge guides

Joseph Mulherin

I have the Shopsmith planer and I am going to use all your suggestions to obtain smooth boards when I start on my rocking chairs.

Am having knee surgeries on both knees ; left first, then right, but should be able to get back to reasonable work in my shop by next May.

Shop is also being reorganized.

Re: Lunch box planer questions

#10

Depends on which model

Dick Coers

But on the model I have, the infeed and outfeed tables only touch at the far edge. If you put a straightedge across the whole length, the bed is flat and then you have two points of contact on the ends of the table. Never could figure why they didn't have the bed and tables in one plane.

Re: Lunch box planer questions

#11

Make a sled

Grant Smith

Barry,

I outlined how to make a sled for you a few weeks ago. Give it a try, it worked wonders for me.

http://www.woodcentral.com/woodworking/forum/messages.pl/page/6/md/read/id/511277/sbj/what-i-did/

Regards,

Grant in Iowa

Re: Lunch box planer questions

#12

Re: Thanks to both of you

Grant Smith

Barry,

The DeWalt setting blocks for the knives are easily misused. Check your manual and reset them.

Regards,

Grant in Iowa

Re: Lunch box planer questions

#13

Re: Make a sled

Barry Irby

I just reread your approach. Seems like a good idea. If my adjustments today don't suit me, I will take your suggestions.

Re: Lunch box planer questions

#14

Here's a sled I saw years ago

Tim Greif - West of Chicago

Can't remember where I saw this but it supposedly did a great job of eliminating snipe. Sorry for the crappy pic. I think this was scanned from an old printed photo.


Re: Lunch box planer questions

#15

Re: Here's a sled I saw years ago

Barry Irby

I bought the bolts and replaced the one I broke. I tuned the knives very carefully. I reset the infeed and outfeed tables. It appears to be working "like new". Still creates minor snipe but that can be eliminated or at least reduce by lifting the ends on the way in and out. Happy enough with it now to leave it alone. Next time I have a big batch of planning to do, I may try a sled.

Thanks for the help.

Re: Lunch box planer questions

#16

Re: Here's a sled I saw years ago

HC Sakman

This design seems solid for this job Barry. I suggest you give it a try.

Chico

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.