WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

New chair assembled

Posts

New chair assembled

#1

JL

New chair assembled

JL




Cherry and white oak.

Re: New chair assembled

#2

Very Nice

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

why the mix of woods?

Re: New chair assembled

#3

JL

Because

JL

You can steam bend white oak relatively easily.

The white oak spindles are easily shaped when green and dried fairly easily (I wrote the weight in pencil on the side - when it stopped losing weight...).

I have tried bending a cherry hoop. It didn't do very well. I wouldn't even attempt to do a continuous arm hoop in cherry.

Re: New chair assembled

#4

I have a true anitque in 3 woods

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

Curtis Buchannan dated it late 1700's and made by a high end shop. The hoop and back spindles are hickory. Seat is white pine. Spindles are soft maple. I presume the choices were made because each wood was optimum for making a chair efficiently that would last. Mine is solid as a rock.

Re: New chair assembled

#5

Agreed

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

but why not the whole chair in WH?

Don't see the advantage of the legs and rockers in cherry.

I've done mixed-wood pieces, but always to exploit the differences as part of the design language used.

I'm missing something on your chair.

Re: New chair assembled

#6

Re: New chair assembled

Hank Knight

Very nice! Continuous arm Windsors are my favorite, and a continuous arm rocker -- WOW! It doesn't get much better.

Re: New chair assembled

#7

JL

Re: Agreed

JL

The seat is cherry also.

Re: New chair assembled

#8

Re: New chair assembled

John C Lucas

Ii havent made a.continuos arm.Windsor yet. Its on my to do list. Whe i took the class from.Curtiss many many years ago.i remember him saying that the 3 seperate.woods.were.common and thats why the chairs were usually painted. Soft wood for the seat for easy carving. Harder wood for the levs.because it took.good turning details and a good bendable wood for.the slats.and back.rails. sorry for all the periods im forced to use the phone right now and i have fat thumbs. I screwed up on my first chair and made the back spindles too thin. Curtiss wondered if it would hold up. Well i think that chair is 17 hears old or maybe a little older. We use it every day at the kitchen table and its still holding strong. I have 3 factory made Windsors at the same table and they have been reglued many times.

Re: New chair assembled

#9

Ah Ha

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

Paint is the answer to the wood mix.

Re: New chair assembled

#10

Re: Because

John McGaw

I've had good luck bending cherry but only very thin stuff. Made a large round cherry table in my early days (before I knew better) and bent the round apron from laminated thickish veneer and when I make Shaker boxes I don't think about using any other wood but, again, that is very thin stock. Right now I don't think I'd have the nerve to make a chair like yours no matter what the wood might be involved.

Re: New chair assembled

#11

Re: New chair assembled

Joseph Mulherin

Beautiful work and chair, JL. Have you ever considered making one of Sam Maloof's rocking chairs?

You can obtain the plans from: Hal Taylor 41 Richards Ferry road Hartwood, VA 22406.

(Ph: 540-286-2586) At the time when I purchased them it cost me only $70.

Re: New chair assembled

#12

Re: New chair assembled

Joseph Mulherin

Also, he has a website: RockingchairsUniversity.org

Re: New chair assembled

#13

Re: New chair assembled

Bruce, a MN Galoot

Very nice job! Is that chair of your design or did you get the dimensions someplace? If so, where?

Re: New chair assembled

#14

JL

My design (sort of)

JL

The basic plan for the chair started off as a regular continuous arm chair.

I had the seat pattern from a class I took years ago.

I adapted it for a rocker.

Re: New chair assembled

#15

NiiiiccE


Re: New chair assembled

#16

Re: New chair assembled

Stuart Hough

Looks outstanding, JL!

Re: New chair assembled

#17

Re: VERY NiCE!


👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.