WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

What goes around Comes around

Posts

What goes around Comes around

#1

Alan Young

What goes around Comes around

Alan Young

I built this Music Stand in 2002 (see Shop Shots 210)


The stand was built for a fund raising auction and was purchased by an Orchestral conductor. Over the years I lost track of this man and never knew where the stand ended up. A year ago I was contacted by the conductor because the stand had incurred some damage and he asked if I could repair it. I gladly took it back to my shop where too many months later I have finally rebuilt the Desk Angle Adjustment Mechanism and refinished the piece.

The original Desk Angle Mechanism design was based on a typical piano design. The changes were made by moving the adjustment bar.




The problem with this design was the lack of a locking mechanism. If the music was in a heavy manuscript there was no counter balance and the Desk would tip forward to the vertical position. So I refitted this stand with an adjustable locking Desk Angle Mechanism.

The new design locks in 4 positions.

1. Vertical or 0 degrees


2. 30 degrees


3. 60 degrees


4. 90 degrees


The vertical height adjustments are made with left and right brass locking pins.








Re: What goes around Comes around

#2

JL

Re: What goes around Comes around

JL

Nice fix.

Re: What goes around Comes around

#3

Comes Around Again

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

and you'll put in the power elevator, right? ;)

Nice work, Alan

m

Re: What goes around Comes around

#4

Re: What goes around Comes around

Joseph Mulherin

Alan, IMHO, you are not only a very good woodworker, but a craftsman of the highest caliber.....beautiful work.

Let us know what the musician has to say about your rendition of the repair you did for him.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.