Delta Unisaw
Larry
I have a Delta Unisaw that I had for over 30 years, now the blade won't say tight. Any ideas ?
Thanks
Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge
Delta Unisaw
Larry
I have a Delta Unisaw that I had for over 30 years, now the blade won't say tight. Any ideas ?
Thanks
Re: Delta Unisaw
Gary Smyth
Is there any chance that you misplaced the arbor flange? 
Failing that, Forrest has a blade stiffener that might "extend" the space of the arbor threads and your blade nut.
Re: Delta Unisaw
Larry
The flange is in place.
Re: Delta Unisaw
Gary Smyth
Does your blade have a bushing to fit your arbor? It may have come loose.
Is the blade arbor hole a true 5/8"? Enlarged? --
Failing observable info, have you tried to switch blades to check if problem continues?
Last resort for me. Have the arbor threads been damaged where the blade sits? Is the arbor still 5/8 with no flat area? Likely only a feeler with indicator gauge will be able to verify the arbor.
Re: Delta Unisaw
Larry
Will have to try that. The blade that's on now was fine at first.
Added more to post above.
If your flange washer is.....
Barry Irby
stamped out of flat stock, check to see if you have compressed it making it thinner.
Also see if there is debris in the threads on the shaft.
Then try a spacer. Two blades? Dado set?
makes no sense
Bill Tindall, E.Tn.
I can finger tighten the nut on my saw and the rotation will tighten the nut to where the blade does not slip. The only way a blade can slip is because the flange is not being pressed against the blade. You will need to investigate why the nut is not squishing against the flange, or the flange not squishing against the blade. Something is holding these parts apart.
My blades will tighter with no flange, as they should. As an experiment try tightening without the flange.
Re: Delta Unisaw
Dick Coers
My only guess is that the shaft has moved in the bearings and you are bottoming the nut in the thread before it tightens against the blade.
Re: Delta Unisaw
Larry
That makes sense. Will have to check that.
Re: Delta Unisaw
Barry Irby
Dick, I was thinking about that. I had a Black and Decker portable circular saw and the shaft would "extract" itself out of the bearings over time and the lock washer (?) would become too shallow. It capped over the end of the shaft. The expedient fix was to grind the end off the shaft. And to buy a fresh cap washer once in awhile because they tended to collapse. In this case the bolt screwed into the end of the shaft.
I think on the table saw the blade tightens against a shoulder on the shaft and would tend to be independent of the position in the bearings.
Does this saw have brakes to stop rotation
Keith Newton
When you hit the off switch? If it does, it may be stopping too fast, causing the inertia of the blade to spin the nut loose.
correct, again this problem makes no sense to me`
Bill Tindall, E.Tn.
I have a Unisaw. The arbor threads go all the way to the shaft flange. The only way for the blade to not be secured by the arbor nut is for the nut to somehow be prevented from screwing down the threads to squish against the shaft washer, or blade, if the experiment was done to try tightening the blade without the flange.
This problem has a simple solution once investigated.
Re: correct, again this problem makes no sense to
Larry
The Flanges are in place.
You Have
Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey
carefully inspected the threads on both your arbor and the arbor nut, right? Damaged threads will produce what you're describing. Acme threads, as on the arbors, are supposed to resist damage, but they're not indestructible. If there was excessive force used to tighten the nut, there could be a slight deformation of the threads at that point. Unlikely, I know, but worth a careful check with a htread gauge anyway.
Re: correct, again this problem makes no sense to
Stuart Johnson
Remove the blade and flange then thread on the nut and see if it threads all the way without binding. If it doesn't then the arbor threads are probably dinged.
now that is an excellent suggestion
Bill Tindall, E.Tn.
If the threads are damaged it will make a good story as to how.
When I install a blade I spin the nut up by hand, grip the blade with my fingers and snug the nut with the wrench. Good enough. My son-in-law was way over tightening his blade nut. Apparently it is not know to all that the nut self tightens from the mechanics of the thread handedness, friction and inertia(or maybe its angular momentum which I never understood).
maybe I don't understand the symptoms
Bill Tindall, E.Tn.
Will you describe exactly what the problem is and how it showed up? I can not imagine any way the blade could be prevented from tightening on a Unisaw....or maybe that isn't the problem.
Re: now that is an excellent suggestion
Larry
Had a machinist friend of a friend look at it, and he did something ( won't say what just smiled). Works fine now.
Re: Delta Unisaw
Paul in NJ
Forgive me if this sounds silly. Is the blade really loose or maybe it is the belt or pulley that is loose and won't spin the blade.
Paul Dzioba
No fair... you gotta tell us what he did.
Re: No fair... you gotta tell us what he did.
Larry
He wont tell me
Threaten him
Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey
with postings on social media alluding to secret machinist cabals holding psychic sway over customer's power tools along with the capacity to sour milk in a 6-block radius.

Slight of Hand????
Barry Irby
Were you watching?
Put the key back in the pulley?
Tighten the set screw?
I know somebody who dropped a blade with carbide teeth on the shaft and dinged the threads. Couple of light touches with a diamond file fixed it.
Re: now that is an excellent suggestion
Larry
I think there saw something in the threads I didn't see. Need new glasses !