WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Triton - non existing customer service

Posts

Triton - non existing customer service

#1

Triton - non existing customer service

Svante Nilsson

Hi,

Triton routers are really innovative and are superb for table mount, but their customer service......

Almost 10 years ago I purchased my first Triton TRA 001. It worked fine but I had problem with that the collet did not fully secure the router bit. I mailed Triton twice but did not get any answer. I contacted Toolstop (a tool dealer in England) and discussed the matter. They told me that the collet on their updated model had a new better design. As the router was 8 years and it had some unique featurs I decided to buy a new one last summer.

It worked fine initially, but soon I had problem with the collet again. The router bit slipped and destroyed an ash door. Again I contacted Toolstop who recommended me to tighten the collet VERY HARD. So I did and it had worked fine until two weeks ago when the collet nut was impossible to unscrew.

I have mailed Triton twice. In their automatic mail response they state that they will answer in two days.

On Monday it will be two weeks and still no help from Triton.


Re: Triton - non existing customer service

#2

By comparison.....

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

Over the years I have owned about a dozen routers of various brands, Never had a collet not grip on any of them.

Re: Triton - non existing customer service

#4

Half a world away

Gary Smyth

Half a world away and you found a product made roughly 300 miles away in a location that I drive through about twice a year. Thank you. I'm going to try to talk with this guy soon.

I've never heard of this before. looks promising. Thanks.

Re: Triton - non existing customer service

#5

Re: MuscleChuck

Joseph Mulherin

Derek, question.....how much do they cost for my 1/4" shaft bits?? Looked all around and could not find any answers. I know they other guys would like to buy some too.

Re: Triton - non existing customer service

#6

Re: Half a world away

Svante Nilsson

Hi,

Yes these routers are a joy to use in a table. Height adjustment is so easy and change of routerbit also.

I must have been very unlucky because I can not find any other having the same problem...

Svante

Re: Triton - non existing customer service

#7

Re: MuscleChuck

Barry Irby

I'm not Derek but, I looked at the web page and hit the Shop Now button and it appears you can buy "Any chuck, One Collet, and an Allen wrench Key" for about $107. Lots of other combinations. They look excellent to me, but that price is a bit stiff. I have about ten routers, maybe I could work out a wholesale discount, but it would have to be pretty steep. If you find them cheaper, let me know, but with the amount of machining in those things I doubt it.

Re: Triton - non existing customer service

#8

Re: MuscleChuck

Dick Coers

I don't see those chucks doing any favors for the bearings in the router. It moves the forces further from the lower bearing, so adding a longer moment arm and more load on the bearing.

Re: Triton - non existing customer service

#9

Re: MuscleChuck

Joseph Mulherin

Thank you, Barry, and I agree that that price is too expensive for my wallet.But shall just stay with what

I have with them right now. Have three routers that I wish to have different bits in for faster working.

Re: Triton - non existing customer service

#10

Re: Triton - non existing customer service

Robin Corell in Atascadero

When you insert the bit are you pulling it out a few mm before tightening it? As the collet tightens it pulls the bit inward a small amount and if there isn't room for the bit to move it can cause the collet to bind and not actually be tight on the bit.

Re: Triton - non existing customer service

#11

Re: Triton - non existing customer service

Barry Irby

Excellent question. I have made that mistake.

Re: Triton - non existing customer service

#12

Re: Triton - non existing customer service

Svante Nilsson

Hi,

I did not know that. I have sometimes had problems with slippage although I have tighten the nut hard - probably because of the reason you mention. Thanks!

In this case the router bit is firmly secured in the collet - so secure that it is impossible to unscrew the nut!!

Svante

Re: Triton - non existing customer service

#13

Re: Triton - non existing customer service

Barry Irby

If you can not unscrew the nut and all else fails, try securing the wrench on the shaft firmly to the bench or vice and striking the wrench on the nut a sharp blow with a smallish hammer.

Depending on the bit that is stuck in the collet, you might be able to use and impact wrench. If the bit is smaller than the nut, maybe a deep socket would work. I have a small impact driver and it is amazing what it will do.

Re: Triton - non existing customer service

#14

Re: MuscleChuck

Derek Cohen (in Perth, Australia)

Hi Barry

The MuscleChuck is mainly used in a router in a router table. Therefore I only need one. $100 for ease and efficiency is worth it to me.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Re: Triton - non existing customer service

#15

Caution

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

I'd be reluctant to use too much force on the nut. If the threads are dry-locked, brute force could strip the threading on the shaft, resulting in shopping for a new router. I'd rather try a bit of penetrating oil around the nut/shaft line (with the router vertical) and/or warming the nut a bit to expand the interior diameter.

Re: Triton - non existing customer service

#16

Re: "O" ring in the collet.

Stuart Johnson

I don't remember where I learned the trick but I drop a half inch "O" ring into the collet. The bit can be dropped in and you don't need to remember to pull it out a bit.

Re: Triton - non existing customer service

#17

i have had excellent service. Made phone call


Re: Triton - non existing customer service

#18

Clint Searl

Re: Triton - non existing customer service

Clint Searl

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Go Milwaukee.

Re: Triton - non existing customer service

#19

Re: Triton - non existing customer service

Svante Nilsson

Thanks for all advice!

I have tried:

- Lubricationg the collet

- Heat up the nut

- Embedded the bit in ice

- Mounted the nut in a sturdy vice

- And with a XL wrench try to unscrew

Perhaps I should try with an XXXXL wrench?

Regards,

Svante

Re: Triton - non existing customer service

#20

Re: Triton - non existing customer service

Barry Irby

Based on the premise "You can't break something that is already broken."

I go back to the suggestion of impact. Rotary impact.

Use a wrench and lock the shaft to a solid object or vice. Use a second wrench on the collet nut and strike that one with a smallish hammer making it a sharp blow. DO NOT use any internal locking mechanism if the router has one.

If a deep well 1/2" drive socket will fit over the bit and engage the collet nut take it and the router to some sort of shop (Tire shop?) that would have an impact wrench and let them try without even locking the shaft.

Locally we have a tool repair shop that could do this, maybe.

While you can't break something that is already broken, you can finish it off, Right now you have a dedicated router, at least until that bit gets tool dull.

Re: Triton - non existing customer service

#21

Re: Triton - non existing customer service

ken combs

Second the rotary impact solution/suggestion. Maybe even sacrifice the bit(cut it off) in order to get a socket on the collet nut. An impact wrench will make quick work of it.

Re: Triton - non existing customer service

#22

The MuscleChuck

Derek Cohen (in Perth, Australia)

The MuscleChuck arrived and I have installed it in my router table ..


It is easy to raise the chuck above the table (mine is a simple table that uses a winder below the table). The bit is very easy to install with the hex key. A quarter turn is enough to secure the bit.


Regards from Perth

Derek

Re: Triton - non existing customer service

#23

Re: The MuscleChuck

Hank Knight

I have a Muscle Chuck just like that one. It's great for raising the bit above the table and it is a very solid piece of equipment. However, if there is any out-of-balance issue with the bit or faulty alignment in the chuck, the extended shank magnifies the vibration tremendously. Also a tip: the hex key they provide with the chuck is a little flimsy. I bought a more substantial one for tightening the bit in the chuck.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.