WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Flat work

Posts

Flat work

#1

Flat work

john lucas

OK I'm mostly known as a turner. I had a 91 year old friend ask me to build a lap desk for him and a phone table. Even after making 3 or 4 sketches I still wasn't exactly sure what he wanted on the phone table. A box on top to hold the phone and a tray to hold the phone books and notebooks. I hope I got it right. I did modify it by making the legs curved and added the details to the Walnut pieces. Of course as a turner I had to add some turning details. The walnut inserts in the lap desk were turned and of course the spindles on the table. The stick on the top is so he can push and pull the phone table closer to his easy chair. He is going through Chemo treatments for some type of cancer. I didn't ask what kind. I doubt there will be any money involved so I made it from scraps I had around the shop which is why the woods are so strange.




Re: Flat work

#2

Good, John

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

I'm sure he'll appreciate your effort.

Suggestion: Ad a bracket of some sort to the table where he can hang the lap board when its not being used. That way he will always know where it is and it will be within reach.

Re: Flat work

#3

Re: Good, John

john lucas

I thought about that but I think he will just prop it up beside his lazy boy recliner when not in use. Don't know. He just called me out of the blue. He is a retired Journalism professor that I worked with for many years. I had not seen him since we both retired 5 years ago. I get a call saying he wants to have lunch and has something to show me. He never asked it I wanted to do it he just sort of gave me the drawings and we started discussing how he wanted it done. I figured what the heck. He's a nice guy. I hired many of his students to work in the photo lab and as extra photographers. 2 of them worked with me very closely. One was working on an engineering degree. Quit school and became a very successful photographer in Knoxville. The other quit school and move to Florida to become a private investigator. He was very good at finding things about people on the internet. while he was there he wrote some kind of program that the baseball teams are using and the Yankee's hired him. Now he runs their digital media.

Anyway after my Dad passed at 94 I'm much more sensitive to the needs of people in the 90's age bracket.

Re: Flat work

#4

Re: Flat work

Don Orr

Nice work and thoughtful gesture.

Re: Flat work

#5

Re: Flat work

John K Jordan

Ok, who are you anyway and what happened to the woodturner John Lucas? :)

Excellent job! And functional. And likely so appreciated!

Hey, if you need some more "scraps" for projects like this I have a little 4/4 walnut and plenty of 4/4 cherry you can have, sliced up on the sawmill some years ago. This thickness of wood mostly goes to waste around here.

JKJ

Re: Flat work

#6

Re: Flat work

Ray Mtn. Home Ar.

Nice job . I like all the detail work you added.

Re: Flat work

#7

Re: Flat work

Yonak

john, these are such beautiful pieces and so well conceived. It's beyond me why some people don't like to mix wood species. Really well done. You should consider backing away from your lathe once in awhile and making more "flat" pieces.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.