WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Sliding barn door hardware

Posts

Sliding barn door hardware

#1

Sliding barn door hardware

Lynn Reedy

I am designing a screen door for my back poarch. I want sliding barn door hardware for the door.

All the hardware I have found so far states that it is for a door 1 3/8 to 1 1/2 inch in thickness. My

door is 1 inch thick. Does anybody know of any hardware to fit a 1 inch thick door. The back porch is covered and the hardware will not be rained on. Please give me a web site, or a vendor or any suggestions

to help out. Thanks for the help....

Re: Sliding barn door hardware

#2

Re: Sliding barn door hardware

norm roy

Lynn, have you considered adding a filler strip to the attachment points to match hardware requirements?

Re: Sliding barn door hardware

#3

Re: Sliding barn door hardware

Larry

Try woodworkershardware.com

Re: Sliding barn door hardware

#4

Re: Sliding barn door hardware *LINK*

Gary Smyth

There is some hardware that that doesn't straddle the door but attaches to one side of the door. It bolts through the face or some perhaps the top so a 1" thickness ought to not matter. The top rail usually extends outward enough for clearance but expect some empty space on the sides of something less than a full width door. I don't know prices and there are many styles. I do know that cross bracing on the door is recommended. I would think that some moulding would solve any objectionable spaces.

Artisan Hardware offers choices but you will have to check for your requirement. You ought to ask about some sort of keep or guide for the door bottom as well.

You might also wish to check houzz from link below. Nearly 200,000 listings with keywords of "barn door hardware". Some of the photos list sources.




https://www.houzz.com/photos/query/barn-door-hardware/nqrwns/p/8

Re: Sliding barn door hardware

#5

I believe Home Depot carries similar hardware


Re: Sliding barn door hardware

#6

Re: Sliding barn door hardware

Matt

You can make the hardware work for thinner doors which will require shorter bolts than what is supplied, but it can be done.

You will find far better prices on-line for this kind of hardware versus Lowes/Home Depot/Menards.

I bought this and am happy with the quality and the instructions are adequate as well:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015DFW7CU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Re: Sliding barn door hardware

#7

Re: Sliding barn door hardware

Keith Newton

Lynn, If your thinking that the thinner door may be a problem by creating a wide space on the back side, you might find that to be an advantage for making it bug-tight, by using two opposing beveled strips that fill that space when it's closed.

Otherwise, it would be pretty easy to either build out behind the straps where they screw to the door. You could even add some detail that looked like it was part of the strap by painting it black.

And it shouldn't be too hard to bend those 1/8" straps either.

Re: Sliding barn door hardware

#8

Re: Sliding barn door hardware *LINK*

Virgil Johnson

I used the stainless steel track in the link for a couple of screen doors I built this past summer from western red cedar. I'll post a pic later when its daylight. My door thickness was around 1 1/8. I don't see why 1" would not work. The hardware works really well.


Stainlees barn door track

Re: Sliding barn door hardware

#9

Re: Sliding barn door hardware *LINK*

John McGaw

I recently received an advert for sliding door hardware and quite a few of the styles shown seem as though they would be agnostic about door thickness (within reason) although it might be necessary to replace the spacers that hold the track from the wall if the extra gap would be detrimental. I assume that to actually work a screen door would require no gap at all so I'm uncertain the idea of a sliding door will be as effective as a 'normal' swing door.


Door Hardware Sale

Re: Sliding barn door hardware

#10

Re: Sliding barn door hardware

Virgil Johnson


The door in the pic is 1 1/4 thick. The mounting portion of the track that attaches to the door top is 1 1/8. It could easily be modified to 1"

Re: Sliding barn door hardware

#11

Kneale Brownson

Re: Sliding barn door hardware

Kneale Brownson

How does that door seal to its frame to keep out the bugs screen doors are intended to keep out?

Re: Sliding barn door hardware

#12

Re: Sliding barn door hardware

Virgil Johnson

After I hung the door I framed the opening the thickness of the gap between the door and frame (minus a 1/16). There is a sweep strip of screen at the bottom of the door also. The sliding doors were my wife idea and I was skeptical from the start but they work well and I'm glad I put them in.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.