WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

WC Weekend Accomplishments....

Posts

WC Weekend Accomplishments....

#1

WC Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis E Peacock

11 Sep 2017

Good Morning Everyone,

I've been working off and on in the shop for the first time in several years. On one hand, I am enjoying it and love working with my hands in creating things out of wood. On the other hand, I find it frustrating because.....well.....I guess because I have a lot more priorities than working with wood and I'm a bit more "stretched" than I have been before. Maybe a bit lazy after working long days at the day job as well. Still working on the king size bed project and I worked through some scrap lumber to make me a guitar pedal board. I've never had a pedal board and a friend of mine has a nice one all setup with an awesome sound to it. Needless to say that he inspired me to move forward with making my own pedal board (because I don't have the money to buy a commercially available pedal board). I just cut up the scrap lumber and threw it together with some screws....I want to see how this all works out before I consider making a nicer pedal board. Here's to the art of experimentation. :)

Today, I pause to remember all those that died or lost loved ones in the 9/11 attack AND I offer up prayers and thoughts for all those affected by severe weather and earthquakes. My heart goes out to all of you.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Dennis Peacock

Re: WC Weekend Accomplishments....

#2

Re: WC Weekend Accomplishments....

Hank Knight

I built Bill Tindall's jig for cutting as single dovetail on the ends of drawer dividers. It works wonderfully well, as advertised.

[url=https://postimages.org/][/url]

Re: WC Weekend Accomplishments....

#3

A weekend for the birds

John K Jordan

A peahen hatched out two chicks who are doing well. This was in a protected nest box inside the peacock house.

A guinea hatched 8 chicks at the edge of a field - an accomplishment since she had to stay there for 27 days exposed to storms, hawks, dogs, raccoons, snakes, etc.

Another peahen had disappeared about a week ago. Found her Saturday sitting on two eggs in tall weeds behind the sawmill.

A very insistent broody hen really really wants to incubate eggs in the chicken house. I put a bunch of guinea eggs under her yesterday.

JKJ

Re: WC Weekend Accomplishments....

#4

Re: A weekend for the birds

Don Stephan

Guinea parades through the yard and garden are so much fun to watch, and boy are they great intruder alarms.

Once the guineas grow, are you going to invite some in for Sunday dinner?

Re: WC Weekend Accomplishments....

#5

Re: A weekend for the birds

John K Jordan

>>>Once the guineas grow, are you going to invite some in for Sunday dinner?

I might as well, the hawks do!

The thing about free-range guineas is you just have to have enough so losing some isn't a problem. I have eleven left from a high of fifteen, eleven more half-grown, the eight chicks, and 25 eggs. Our friend has both incubators full - she sells a LOT of guineas all over the region. They certainly are entertaining. Dumber than rocks. They range all over our property and across the county road to some neighbor's yards. I tell the neighbors if they get to be annoying to let me know if they really do taste like chicken! The neighbors like them after they found out they like to eat ticks and baby snakes.

We saw guinea on the menu in several restaurants in Italy but never tried it until one day last year:

A neighbor was walking down the street with his kids looking for their dog. There in the road between us was a dead guinea, it's belly sliced open and still hot - was just killed seconds before. The guy said, "you reckon it got hit by a car?" and headed down the road. Just then some guineas down the road started making a big fuss. I heard the daughter - "I found Buddy - I think he DID kill that turkey! He was trying to catch some more!"

The father accepted all the responsibility I expected - I heard him tell the girl "Shhh! Shhh!"

With a fresh and clean kill we cooked up that one. I guess it was the time we had "road kill". :)

JKJ

Re: WC Weekend Accomplishments....

#6

Ellis Walentine

Re: WC Weekend Accomplishments....

Ellis Walentine

We worried a lot about our daughters and their families on the west coast of Florida. Luckily, they all evacuated in time and their homes mostly survived the storm, though not without the loss of a lot of trees and shrubs and fences. All's well that ends well, I suppose, but Florida isn't going to be the same for a long time.

Ellis

Re: WC Weekend Accomplishments....

#7

Re: WC Weekend Accomplishments....

Hank Knight

Glad to hear your family came out O.K. That was a scary storm, for sure!

Re: WC Weekend Accomplishments....

#8

Re: WC Weekend Accomplishments....

Barry Irby

Glad to hear your family came out as well as they could.

Tell them to save you some turning blanks.

Re: WC Weekend Accomplishments....

#9

Re: WC Weekend Accomplishments....

Steve jenkins

Glad they got out ok. My brother in Houston had 56" of water in the house. Got out by boat.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.