WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

trex decking

Posts

trex decking

#1

trex decking

art demers

I've got a 12x10 deck made with trex decking "plastic" I was thinking about caulking the space between the boards thereby making under the deck useful and dry has anybody ever done this and if so what kind of caulking would you use ?

Re: trex decking

#2

Re: trex decking

Barry Irby

You need to consider where the water will go IF you are successful. Does your deck have a distinct slope AWAY from your house. You need about two inches of slope or more. 1/8 to 1/4" per foot Many decks are level. They shouldn't be, they should "drool" away from the house.

As far as caulking the seems, I doubt you can be 100% successful. Best shot would be to thoroughly clean the crack and use "swimming pool caulk". Something by Thiokol or Pecora that is soft and stretchy.

Another approach might be to create a series or troughs between the joists to catch the drool and carry it away. I built one like this about 35 years ago, but we installed the troughs before we put in the decking and the decking was like a series of pallets that could be lifted out occasionally to clean up. As far as I know, its still working.

Re: trex decking

#3

Re: trex decking

Ralph Lipeles

Trex decking is put down with a space, usually 1/4", between the boards. This is because the decking has a much higher expansion rate then the deck structure. The spaces allow the deck boards to expand and contract. If you fill the spaces with something soft and flexible it may deteriorate after a bunch of expansion and contraction cycles, that would be a mess and very difficult to clean up.

If you have enough height I would recommend a sub roof under the deck that would channel any water away. Use sheets of corrugated fiberglass panels.

Re: trex decking

#4

Re: trex decking

art demers

The reason I'm trying some thing else is because of corragated fiberglass panels I did have them up for several years then one of the corners came down so I thought I'd fix it took it down a low and behold I had the biggest critter ne3st I've ever seen squirles chipmunks I dont know the were eveen eating the 2x8 holding up the deck . How about I stuff the crack with plastic tubing or rope or something else . The deck is absolutly level so I don't think it will puddle anywhere Thanks for answers they are a help.

Re: trex decking

#5

Art,...

Barry Irby

Search how to properly caulk a crack such as an expansion joint.

You stuff the joint with "backer rod" and then caulk. Backer Rod is a closed cell foam "rope" or tube. Comes in many sizes from about a 1/4" up to well over an Inch. Home Depot carries it locally among many other sources.

The "trick" for you would be to stuff it into the crack without pushing it out fo the bottom. Then, the caulk should be thin at the center of the joint and thick on the ends where it touches the decking. The idea is that its thin and flexible and stretchy at the center and wide or thick where it adheres tot eh deck board. the cross section is shaped like a bowtie. The thin center can stretch and flex and the wide contact on the deck boards allows for strong adhesion.

Can't imagine filling a joint every 6" and getting them all done well.

Re: trex decking

#6

Re: Art,...

Larry

Call the manufacturer and see what they say.

Re: trex decking

#7

Re: trex decking

pecker

There's a product called UNDERDECK for this purpose. You might want to check out their website.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.