WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Speaking of drawers......

Posts

Speaking of drawers......

#1

Speaking of drawers......

Barry Irby

I am about to install drawer fronts on the chests of drawers. Cherry on poplar boxes. I was planning on making the overlay fronts 3/4" thick. I had to go through a lot of crappy tree run cherry to get enough good stuff to do two chests worth. It occurred to me I could resaw them and apply Pieces about 5?16" thick and then save the rest for other projects.

The drawers are 30" wide and They graduate down, 8,7,6,5,4 and 2".

So what would you do, 3/4 or resaw?

And how would you apply them? Can you just lick them on the back.

Re: Speaking of drawers......

#2

Re: Speaking of drawers......

Don Stephan

Seems like applied drawer fronts usually are held in place with screws. If the front is only 5/16" thick, not much room for screw threads.

Re: Speaking of drawers......

#3

Re: Speaking of drawers......

AZ in Colorado Springs

I shim the drawer fronts to the reveals right, then stick on with double sided tape. Then drill for screws from inside the drawer. Leave the tape in place or remove it; that's up to you.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.