Building LED Shop Chandeliers
John Foster
Currently my shop is lighted with 300W incandescent bulbs, which are power hungry, short lived and becoming hard to find . I am going to convert to LED lighting.
My shop is lined with pine boards and is very rustic with buzz saw blades, cattle skulls, old farm tools on the walls etc. Periodically it gets cleaned out ( big equipment pushed against the walls and covered with quilts ) for engagement parties, weddings , reunions etc. in the family.
I have the hardware from an old threshing machine, and I was considering making chandeliers with the larger diameter belt pulleys with the curved spokes. The pulleys would be suspended horizontally with welded wire cages ( which we have built before ) and Edison style LED bulbs hanging from them.
My question is : The 300 watt incandescent bulbs put out about 4500 lumens, the chandeliers will have more bulbs of lower output naturally. When replacing one large bulb with many small ones, do I just go for the same lumen total, do I need a higher total, or will a lower total give the same light? I am guessing that there is some advantage to multiple point light sources, but I don't know.
Thanks