WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

lasy susan bearing

Posts

lasy susan bearing

#1

lasy susan bearing

ronnie

How large a bearing would i need to make a 24 in lasy susan and where would be a good place to buy it.

Thanks

Re: lasy susan bearing

#2

Re: lasy susan bearing

William Duffield

It depends on how much weight it needs to hold, how off-balance that weight is, how fast you will rotate it, how quickly it will accelerate and decelerate, and the environmental conditions (e.g., blowing sand, freezing rain, storm surges, etc.) where it will be operated.

They're inexpensive, so I would suggest you choose the largest, sturdiest one that will fit. a 12" bearing will fit nicely under a 24" rotating platform, but you haven't specified the size of the base that will support it.

You don't give us any information about your location, so we can't effectively suggest a close retail store location or factor in shipping costs from mail order sources.

I've used one of these for over 20 years under a large mass of oak and books, another between two sheets of plywood that I use as an assembly and finishing platform in the shop, and I have a couple more of them on hand in my shop in case I need to put something together in a hurry.

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/triangle-mfg-flat-round-lazy-susan-12-5-16-thick-capacity-1000-lbs

Re: lasy susan bearing

#3

Re: lasy susan bearing

ronnie

Thanks William, it's going on a large kitchen table. 12 in. was the largest I found and I was wondering if it would be big enough.

Re: lasy susan bearing

#4

Re: lasy susan bearing

William Duffield

They're cheap enough and easy enough to install on a mock-up that a couple of experiments should tell you what you need to know. Anything larger or stronger will probably require you to fabricate it yourself, or look for a much more expensive industrial solution.

Re: lasy susan bearing

#5

Re: lasy susan bearing

Rum

Most of the 12" are nominally rated for 1000lbs. The challenge there is the forces on the outside of the table - suggested max size from most of the manufacturers is around 30" presumably to accommodate that (although the actual limit is larger/smaller depending on the expected load).

There are some really interesting load calculation details... for example:

http://www.rotek-inc.com/files/Rotek_84pgCat_FINAL_ViewOnly.pdf

I don't pretend to understand them fully (or even partially for the most part), pretty interesting read though.

You can get larger ones search for "turret bearing" or "turntable bearing" but the price starts to climb rather precipitously (2klbs for ~$300+ and ~6klbs for $800+).

There are some cheap aluminium 20" ones but they actually have a lower load rating than the better 12" ones.

Re: lasy susan bearing

#6

Kneale Brownson

Re: lasy susan bearing

Kneale Brownson

I have seen a really large, heavy-duty tabletop turn table where the woodworker routed a circular path in both the top of the table and the bottom of the turn table and then loaded it up with a bunch of large steel balls. I think there was a pin in the center to keep the turn table from rolling off to the side.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.