Miterset
Larry
Has anyone used these ?
https://miterset.myshopify.com/
Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge
Miterset
Larry
Has anyone used these ?
https://miterset.myshopify.com/
Re: Miterset
JL
Why? I don't mean to be flip or anything - but a reasonable miter gauge such as an Osborne or an Incra means you don't have to use such.
Re: Miterset
Bill Tindall, E.Tn.
I never got miters to my satisfaction using a miter gauge. And it is fiddly to set up each time for left and then right miters. Finally I built a "miter sled". Set it and forget it. It took but an hour or two to build for a few dollars worth of plywood and sticks. It is on hand to cut both left and right 45 degree miters at a moments notice. I can't imagine paying for the Miterset if the most of my miters were to be 45 degrees.
Re: Miterset
Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey
There's "usually" enough slop in a miter gauge and slot to make it useless for precise work. I, like Bill, made a sled. Mine has a pinioned arm that gets set angle using a Staedler protracting draftsman's triangle laid across the the blade teeth. I use the same protractor to set a precise angle on the SCMS. The miter gauge that came with the saw hangs on a hook under the extension table and might have been used 3 times in all the years I've had the saw.
Re: Miterset
ebd
+1 on the sled. I first made one to cut segments for a 12 section ring. THat got locked down once I had it perfect - never to be changed. It worked so well that I made a sled for 45° cuts. I'm even thinking of making one for perfect 90° cuts because once it's set it's so easy to use and the cuts come out perfect.
One thing I did different. Instead of plywood for the deck of the sled, I used acrylic. A bit more expensive, but no moisture problems, don't have to worry if I spill something on it, and best of all - marking the holes for the runners was totally easy to get perfect because you can see through the material.
2nd on drafting tools
Gary Smyth
I did early work in a large communications department. It was a full service production house for national ads. There I learned the value of drafting, graphics, and engineering tools for accuracy. No matter the cost of the Miterset you will serve yourself better using drafting tools. If all you want it for is 45 degree cuts, make a sled as mentioned above or use a drafting triangle directly to set the blade. The ad for Miterset says it is in 5 degree increments. If you need better accuracy and at less cost use an adjustable triangle. By the way, any 90 degree triangle can also be used on a routing table with a side against the fence to show precisely where the beginning and end of a router bit is when doing a stopped dado. I use the small 2" triangles for that.

Re: Miterset
Don Stephan
My home made table saw sled that cuts both left and right 45 deg miters does very well, but the reference edges on the sled are only about 12" long. When I had to edge a pair of veneered tabletops 39" x 51" I made a shooting board, addressing both left and right corners, for my #8 plane. The reference edges on the shooting board are I think about 24" long. When the corners still did not meet "perfectly" around the tabletop I used a few business cards against the shooting board fences to dial in the exact miter needed.
Re: Miterset
Larry Clinton At Frankfort, (Central) Indiana
I have the Incra miter jig with the table sled, bought it years ago, as I recall it was fairly expensive as I purchased all the extras at a WW show in Indianapolis. It does produce almost perfect miters at 45 deg and various other angles.