WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Staining Poplar

Posts

Staining Poplar

#1

Staining Poplar

Tom Pilsbury (Chicago)

I have a Black Walnut stain I want to use. Should I use a wood conditioner first?

Re: Staining Poplar

#2

Depends on how even you want the color.

Dick Coers

Practice on scrap.

Re: Staining Poplar

#3

Re: Staining Poplar

AZ in Colorado Springs

We use poplar for projects in introductory wood working classes. I've seen it stained many times. I have never observed any blotching.

Re: Staining Poplar

#4

Nah

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

Sanding evenly is the key to controlling the even absorption of the stain. Poplar grows straight and tall with very little in the way of compression wood in my area. We have a number of poplars that run up to 100' or better with the first lead above 40'. Makes for straight even grain.

Re: Staining Poplar

#5

ebd

Re: Staining Poplar

ebd

I've used Minwax (?) Ipswitch Pine on poplar extensively. Just sanded as normal and applied. It always comes out looking like butternut. Almost impossible to tell the difference (I chose the grain carefully when picking boards). Don't see why your stain should act any different.

Re: Staining Poplar

#6

Re: Staining Poplar

Tom Pilsbury (Chicago)

I went ahead and used the conditioner before staining and it turned out pretty good. Will apply a topcoat today. Only took a few minutes as this is a small project. (Christmas present) Mostly I was asking for future reference in case I'm making a larger project. Thanks all for the responses.


Re: Staining Poplar

#7

Bottle of Wine for Every Project? NM


Re: Staining Poplar

#8

Re: Bottle of Wine for Every Project?

William Duffield

It seems to me he didn't do the math. One bottle of wine and accommodations for FOUR wine goblets? :D

Re: Staining Poplar

#9

Jim DeLaney, Austintown, Ohio

Re: Staining Poplar

Jim DeLaney, Austintown, Ohio

Try using the steel wool/vinegar solution on Poplar. It gives a nice warm brown result.

Did it once by accident (don't ask!) and ended up liking it. Have used it several times since.

Re: Staining Poplar

#10

Re: Bottle of Wine for Every Project?

Tom Pilsbury (Chicago)

LOL. But that one is a gift for a classy lady. The stuff I drink comes in a box.

Re: Staining Poplar

#12

Re: Bottle of Wine for Every Project?

William Duffield

I agree. It is an elegant idea.

Designing and building something equivalent for box wine and goblets would be quite a bit more challenging. I once suggested it to my lady, but she nixed the idea.

Re: Staining Poplar

#13

Nixed

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

The Box?

The Goblets?

or

The Project?

:D

Re: Staining Poplar

#14

Re: Nixed

William Duffield

The project :( . She'd never nix a box of wine, or a glass to pour it into. :D

Re: Staining Poplar

#15

Psssst

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

SWMBO may be doing "keggers" in the cooking wine.

:\

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.