WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

New Spritzer Considered

Posts

New Spritzer Considered

#1

New Spritzer Considered

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

Up to now I've relied on two spray rigs for my finishing. Shellac and thin clears have been done with my CAT Jr. top-cup mini, and waterborne top coats have been the province of the big rig, a Walcom FZ SP HVLP gun running on a 2 qt. pressure pot.

The little grav-feed CAT just doesn't like the heavier waterborne finishes, and there are times I don't need or want a 2 qt. rig with the twin hose deal on smaller projects. So I'm considering an Apollo 7500 gun with a pressure cup, but am looking at the 3M PPS system and looking for comments and caveats, issues, and recommendations on the 3M system for woodworking finishes.

Anyone here use it?

Likes?

Dislikes?

TIA

Re: New Spritzer Considered

#2

3M cups

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

I have used them since they were introduced. They can be had at auto body shop supply houses. They have added a more convenient in between size for small projects. I use the cups with a DeVilbiss JGA conventional gun. I love them. I spray everything out of these cups. Have some left over....no problem, just cap the cup and rinse the gun with 20 ml solvent.

Another company, can't remember who, makes a similar product that used to have better sizes of cups for small projects. But with the addition of the in between sized 3M cup I have become happy with 3M PPS

Re: New Spritzer Considered

#3

More?

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

You use the liners?

Other Options?

Looking for use info on the system.

Seen a couple of threads about warping on the cups and lids.

TIA

Re: New Spritzer Considered

#4

Re: More?

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

You use the liners? I don' t understand the question. The system works like a collapsible baby bottle. consists of a cup holder, collapsible cup with lid and filter and adapter for gun. If finish is thick I remove the filter

Other Options? I don' t understand the question.

Looking for use info on the system. I don' t understand the question. One can spray upside down, sideways.

Seen a couple of threads about warping on the cups and lids. never had this problem. I am sure 3M would replace defective cups.

TIA

Re: New Spritzer Considered

#5

Re: More?

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

1. Is the system pressure or siphon fed or either?

2. Is the system top-feed only or will it adapt to bottom-fed guns?

3. Are the liner/lids reusable? [I'm cheap]

Re: New Spritzer Considered

#6

answers

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.


From the questions I don't think you have seen a picture or read how it works. (screw on cap to hold assembly together is missing in PIC. )

1. Is the system pressure or siphon fed or either? Siphon, would not make any sense on a pressure feed gun. No advantage. Think modern baby bottle with baby sucking out the contents.

2. Is the system top-feed only or will it adapt to bottom-fed guns? see pic

3. Are the liner/lids reusable? [I'm cheap] Usually. The lip can get creased and leak. Must be leak free to work. Collapsible liner must collapse.

I especially like how I can spray upside down, or any angle. And the small sized cups make getting inside stuff handy.

Re: New Spritzer Considered

#7

Thanks, Bill

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

Have some thinking to do. 3M also makes the Accuspray gun with interchangeable heads and the PPS cup system included, but the kit has stuff I'm unlikely to ever use. It's price is less than the Apollo gun for which I'll still have to buy the PPS accessories.

Re: New Spritzer Considered

#8

alternative

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

Were it not for California environmental standards we never would have had the option of the HVLP guns. I bought an Appolo in a weak moment and it sits unused on the shelf. I found that it didn't produce that much less overspray. The only place I noticed a difference was inside a drawer or other confined space.

You can often find a JGA style gun for $75 on Ebay. Son in law snagged a nearly new one for $50. They atomize better and are less finicky getting spray and distance just right.

Re: New Spritzer Considered

#9

Apollo on The Shelf?

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

Conversion 7500C or a turbine rig or_____________?

Re: New Spritzer Considered

#11

I have the Accuspray system

Barry Irby

I bought it a while back on Amazon. The cup is on top, so it gravity fed(?). Bought some spare cup liners and nozzles. Have finished several pieces with it spraying Sherwin Williams lacquer.

I like it well enough, but it's not a love affair. Probably my fault. I was looking for a miracle. To live up to my hopes it would have had to come with an operator and a spray booth.

It does work as advertised, but I think I need a training course. I getting excessive over spray and wasting finish.

One thing I like is I sometimes leave lacquer in it for days or weeks and because the cup collapses and there is no air in it, the gun is ready to go. It has its own pressure regulator on the inlet and that solves the problem of the feed air pressure.

On Bill's advice, I bought a gun like he suggested and I like it also, but it came with a tiny cup. did not understand I could put the collapsible cup on that gun?????

Re: New Spritzer Considered

#12

Looked At

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

Several reviews and it seems to be more of a heavy-body gun, most often being used for primer in car shops. Accuspray makes other guns that are much higher priced than I want to go for a 2nd medium job gun. Think I'll stay with the Apollo 7500 conversion since I have a second reg that I use on my TJr.

Re: New Spritzer Considered

#13

Jim DeLaney, Austintown, Ohio

Re: New Spritzer Considered

Jim DeLaney, Austintown, Ohio

Jeff Jewitt (Homestead Finishing) has a small gravity feed gun that's designed for water-based finishes. The kit comes with 1.0; 1.2; and 1.5mm tips, but I've found that the 1.2 seems to work best for virtually all the Target Coatings formulae.

I've just recently started using the 3M PPS cups. The mini's are about 5 oz. - about 150 ml., and that's a great size for small jobs. The system is really nice, and makes cleanup a 2 minute, 1 ounce of water/alcohol job.

BTW, my waterborne cleanup regimen has always been to run water thru the gun, followed by a small amount of alcohol to remove any water left. Been doing this for years, with good results.

Re: New Spritzer Considered

#14

You Speak Of

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

the CAT TJR. mini. I've had one of those little jewels for 10 years. It is my go-to shellac gun as well as for acrylic lacquers like Target's stuff on small items and turnings.

Good cleaning method; I do the same.

Re: New Spritzer Considered

#15

Jim DeLaney, Austintown, Ohio

Re: You Speak Of

Jim DeLaney, Austintown, Ohio

Actually, it's the QualSpray QS-125b. In a kit with 3 tips for $239.00.

Re: New Spritzer Considered

#16

Oh,

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

I'll take a look and probably call Jeff.

Thanks

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.