WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

OT - Outdoor Security Floodlights

Posts

OT - Outdoor Security Floodlights

#1

OT - Outdoor Security Floodlights

Don Stephan

When I purchased a one story retail building 11 years ago I installed waterproof outdoor electrical boxes and corresponding light sockets high on the walls under the eaves. The sockets only accept the very short PAR16 floodlights. Each box has a pair of sockets and a photocell that turns on the lights at night.

For years the Phillips brand halogen 60W indoor/outdoor floodlight bulbs lasted what seemed a reasonable period of time, and I always purchased them at a big box store. About 3 years ago, the bulbs started failing much more quickly, after just a few months. After a couple years of this I switched to Westinghouse indoor/outdoor 60W halogen floodlights, and the most recently installed bulb didn't even last a month. There is no sign of damage or cracking when the bulbs fail, and under the eave they are not exposed to rain.

Can anyone suggest a longer lasting bulb, even if it requires a different socket on the outdoor electrical boxes?

Re: OT - Outdoor Security Floodlights

#2

Re: OT - Outdoor Security Floodlights

John McGaw

Well, there are always LED bulbs and they are available in outdoor PAR16 form. I've found that most of them seem to radiate in a more narrow pattern than what I consider floods but I've only tried a few. Cost a bit more although the prices have dropped radically from what they were but if you are replacing your incandescent ones so frequently they should pay for themselves pretty quickly -- not to mention the labor saving.

Lots of them on Amazon and if you go there from WC the site gets a small cut of the proceeds. Amazon search for "par 16 led outdoor bulbs" turns up many examples. I have changed most of the bulbs in my house to LED and like them a lot.

Re: OT - Outdoor Security Floodlights

#3

Re: OT - Outdoor Security Floodlights

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

If you have a large lighting store nearby I suggest you inquire there about lamps. For your application a sodium lamp or other all night light source could be more cost effective.

Re: OT - Outdoor Security Floodlights

#4

Re: OT - Outdoor Security Floodlights

Larry Clinton At Frankfort, (Central) Indiana

What has probably happened is that the sensor is turning on and off more often, that is the killer for Incandescent (Halogen or filament type) due to rapid heating and cooling. I have the same style and changed the ones on my house / driveway to LED style last year, they are pricey but I really like them. Led's are not affected by cycle rate so last even longer than they advertise over the filament type. The electrical charge due to the low wattage and the life will probably pay the difference in less than 3 years, not counting the inconvenience of buying and changing the old style. Mine cost about $25 each at Walmart when I purchased them.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.