WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Would you try to salvage 9 year old SealCoat?

Posts

Would you try to salvage 9 year old SealCoat?

#1

Would you try to salvage 9 year old SealCoat?

Tim Greif - West of Chicago

I've really never had any issues with using outdated SealCoat, since I really only use it occasionally as a barrier coat under water based poly. My 9 year old can just started leaking. This is a known problem with Zinsser products. I had a can of BIN do the same thing a few years ago. I transferred the SealCoat to a glass jar but then got to wondering. Am I just asking for trouble? Clarity still seems good and it appears to still have the same slight amber tint. What say you?


Re: Would you try to salvage 9 year old SealCoat?

#2

Re: Would you try to salvage 9 year old SealCoat?

Dave Bair

Put a few drops on a non absorbent material and see if it dries fully. If gummy, toss it; if not, it's still good.

Re: Would you try to salvage 9 year old SealCoat?

#4

No I would not use it.

Dick Coers

I put way too much effort in my work to chance using old finish on it. I really don't want to make more work for myself by having to strip it, or redo the finish if it fails latter. Finish like this is cheap.

Re: Would you try to salvage 9 year old SealCoat?

#5

Ditto +

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

Old shellac used under waterborne top coats has a propensity to cold check (shrink and open up veins and depressed lines) that will require refinishing of the piece.

If the test dries and then "powders" well, use it for whatever you need EXCEPT under a waterborne finish.

You may be able to help it a little by running it through a coffee filter.

Re: Would you try to salvage 9 year old SealCoat?

#6

OK, did the test.  It's outa here.

Tim Greif - West of Chicago

Did the test suggested. Put some on a metal surface. Did not sand well, no dust or powder. Felt gummy with the fingernail test. Laid a large piece of fabric LOML was tossing out on the gravel. Poured the remainder onto the fabric to soak up the shellac and let the alcohol evaporate and dry.

Thanks for the advice. I know SealCoat is cheap (but so am I). :D

Re: Would you try to salvage 9 year old SealCoat?

#7

I Tried It

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

Had a can go "bad" (gummy) on me 4-5 months after I bought it. I mix from flakes now.

Re: Would you try to salvage 9 year old SealCoat?

#8

Yeah but how do you get dewaxed from flakes?

Tim Greif - West of Chicago

SealCoat is dewaxed. Good for beneath oil base and waterbase polyurethane. Zinsser says normal shellac should not be used under polyurethane (any type) If you make your own from flakes, how do you turn it into dewaxed shellac fur use under poly?

Re: Would you try to salvage 9 year old SealCoat?

#9

You Buy

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

dewaxed flakes!

Homestead Finishing: http://www.homesteadfinishingproducts.com/

Or

Shellac Shack: http://www.shellacshack.com/

You can get dewaxed in an assortment of tones from Ultra Pale to Dark Garnet. I only buy Ultra Pale or Super Blond because they have better shelf life and I can easily kick them with TransTint dyes.

For maximum clarity, I run freshly mixed through a coffee filter in a funnel. The solution comes out crystal clear.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.