WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

My first shop

Posts

My first shop

#1

My first shop

john lucas

OK it's not my absolute first. I rented a house with a garage that had gravel floor and no door. I built a workbench that folded up and locked against the wall. My small collection of tools, a router, jig saw, and several hand tools all hung on the wall and were safely locked away when the bench was folded. that was my first shop. This one was second. I'm kind of guessing but it had to be 1980 plus or minus a year. It was in the back bedroom of a 2 bedroom apartment. I told all the neighbors if I ever made nose that bothered them to call and I would stop. Shortly after this photo was taken I purchased the new Shopsmith planer. Man what a noise maker. Still I never had a complaint from a neighbor. I had rigged up wooden supports to go around the small table so I could rip a piece of plywood to size by myself. I'm not a fan of the shopsmith when compared to quality tooling which I have today. However I did an awful lot of work back then. It deserves the honor of getting me into turning which of course is my love today. In my opinion the lathe is the worst part of this machine but nonetheless i made a lot of segmented bowls and clocks on that machine. When you compare this setup to my current shop which is which is 24 X 30 plus a seperate 23X10 room for parts, paints, and smaller dry wood storage there is certainly a huge difference. Not to mention that I have pretty much high quality stand alone machines now instead of this all in one machine. OH and I"m still using the small bench grinder in the lower right of that shelf. I purchased that from Sears about 1976 and still use it frequently. It's in my metal working area and has a course wheel for rough grinding and a Green wheel for sharpening carbide. That was the grinder I used for many many years to sharpen my lathe tools. 3450RPM and vibrates. It's a miracle I ever got a sharp tool.


Re: My first shop

#2

Re: My first shop

John K Jordan

Nice! You looked organized back then too. Or did you straighten up just for the picture? :)

I wish I had a picture of my first shop, 1972. It was on my porch - Craftsman radial arm saw with dado cutter, moulding head, drum sander attachment, etc, plane, saber saw, sandpaper. I made a lot of things including some I still have today in this house! Then I build a 20x20 building (my first construction project) and moved in the big guns - a rickety little portable table saw! That was up town!

JKJ

Re: My first shop

#3

Re: My first shop

Thomas Skaggs, Foothills of Mount Level

The curtain really made it quite lovely. :D

Re: My first shop

#4

Re: My first shop

john lucas

That was to keep the landlord from knowing what I was doing. I covered the floors with MDF and taped all the joints with duct tape. I put 2 filters over the air return duct and one small one against the gap below the door. Probably would have been kicked out instantly if they ever found out.

Re: My first shop

#5

Re: My first shop

Larry Clinton At Frankfort, (Central) Indiana

Brings back some memories! I remember working out of a so called "garage" in the home where I still live. This room was built in the 1800's, probably for horse carriages. Way too narrow for modern cars. At that time it was our storage area so what few tools I owned were just stored there, when I wanted to use them I worked on the picnic table or in the gravel driveway. I had a "table saw" built from a Singer sewing machine and washing machine motor. I purchased a Ryobi bench top radial arm saw, the cheapest 6" Grizzly joiner, and owned a 7 1/4" Ram circular saw. Had a cheap 1/4" drill, an old yard sale sander also had some old worn planes and chisels from yard sales (sharpened with used and abused stones from same venue). The only clamps were used pipe clamps. Did a lot of work with those tools. Probably the total cash value of all my woodworking tools was less than $500!

Now I have my dream shop equipped with very nice tools and am too old to use them near as much as I used the first ones.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.