WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Metal detector

Posts

Metal detector

#1

Metal detector

terry quiram

My hand held detector no longer works. Any recommendations for a replacement?

Re: Metal detector

#2

For a sawmill, or in the shop? *LINK*

Keith Newton

Here is a discussion from a sawmill site where you might need to look deep into a log, then shallow after starting into the cuts.

I have the Wood wizard III, which is pretty good up to about 2" deep, but I haven't compared it to any others.

There was some mention in my link below about a really good one from Radio shack, which I understand it going under, so if they are still in business, maybe you could pick up one for a reduced price.


http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Shopping_for_a_Metal_Detector.html

Re: Metal detector

#3

Garrett hand held

Gary Smyth

As in use at an airport. Model 11651? The label is difficult to read. 9v battery but it gets intermittent use so I pull the battery to limit damage.

Never failed as far as my experience using it. Inspected up to 4 x 6 being able to work from all sides.

However, their customer service is not much help for a single purchaser. In my view a flimsy battery connection and while it works, Garrett has an upgrade. They advised me to buy the new version as they were having the battery connect problem with the version I own. No other help offered. When military and agencies buy with the quantities they do, they seemed to have little use for fixing or help replacing one unit.

Still, so far, so good. Don't want to spend the money on the upgraded version any time soon.

Re: Metal detector

#4

Re: Garrett hand held

Matt

Yes, agree. Find one in good shape on eBay and problem solved.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.