WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Question on Plug, 120 vs 220 volts????

Posts

Question on Plug, 120 vs 220 volts????

#1

Question on Plug, 120 vs 220 volts????

Barry Irby

I brought the Grizzly sander home today. Just for fun I thought I would plug it into the outlet for my TS and take it for a test drive. The plug says NEMA L5-20 and 20A 125V.

The instructions call for a NEMA L6-30 and 220 volts.

The existing plug won't fit my existing outlet. I can't read the details on the existing plug.

Apparently the sander comes without a plug and you add your own or hard wire it. I am stymied. What are the chances the previous owner rewired the motor for 120V? Or just used the wrong plug? How can I tell? I will call Grizzly tomorrow. The manual does not discuss rewiring for 120.

What happens if I put a 220 plug on it and plug it into my existing circuit at 220v?

Re: Question on Plug, 120 vs 220 volts????

#2

Re: Question on Plug, 120 vs 220 volts????

Larry

If it's wired for 120 and you plug in to 220 puff go the motor. What does the motor label say?

Re: Question on Plug, 120 vs 220 volts????

#3

I have not looked at the motor, but

Barry Irby

there is a label on the cord that says "this machine is wired for 220 volts". I just don't know how to double check.

Re: Question on Plug, 120 vs 220 volts????

#4

Re: Question on Plug, 120 vs 220 volts????

John in NM

A dual voltage motor should have a little diagram on the housing or under the cover of the wiring box on the side of the motor housing that indicates how to wire it for either. The spec plate on the motor will also indicate if it's dual voltage, along with current draw at each voltage, etc.

On the other hand, its quite common to see 120V plugs and receptacles used for 240V. As far as I know, the difference between them has more to do with not mixing up voltages than with any electrical properties of the plugs themselves.

Bottom line, check the motor, it should tell you what is what. Then swap the plug if need be and forget all about it.

Re: Question on Plug, 120 vs 220 volts????

#5

Re: I have not looked at the motor, but

Keith Newton

Somewhere on the motor, maybe on the label, or under the cover for the wiring, will be a diagram for each, showing how to group the wires and or which ones the leads go to. It's easy to figure out once you see the wires have numbers. However, you also need to find which wires to swap for clockwise or CCW rotation, usually 5 and 8, I think, but that may vary with brands.

If you can't figure it out, just take a photo and send or post it.

Re: Question on Plug, 120 vs 220 volts????

#6

JL

5 hp motor - can only be 220V  *LINK*


Manual

Re: Question on Plug, 120 vs 220 volts????

#7

Re: Question on Plug, 120 vs 220 volts????

Joseph Mulherin

Barry, I downloaded the instructions, read thru them and found in section ^ that the drum motor and the conveyor motor both operate on 220V. So, rewire your plug so it it 220 and you will be set.....besides it will be cheaper to run than on 120V.

Re: Question on Plug, 120 vs 220 volts????

#8

Re: Question on Plug, 120 vs 220 volts????

Jay Lombardo

It costs the same to run a motor at 240 as it does at 120. You pay for electricity in Watts.

120V x 10A = 1,200 Watts

240V x 5A = 1,200 Watts

Only thing cheaper is installation because you can use smaller conductors, and the motor will run a little cooler.

Re: Question on Plug, 120 vs 220 volts????

#9

Called Grizzly this morning.....

Barry Irby

Basically said the motor could not be converted to 120, so the guy installed the wrong plug.

Just went to a supply house and bought the correct plug. Actually two of them. and a receptacle. Turns out my TS has had a non-NEMA plug on it for all these years, so I will convert it. Later today.

Re: Question on Plug, 120 vs 220 volts????

#10

Re: Question on Plug, 120 vs 220 volts????

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey


Re: Question on Plug, 120 vs 220 volts????

#11

Re: previous owner did very dangerous thing.

Larry Clinton At Frankfort, (Central) Indiana

It is apparent to me that the previous owner had run the unit on 220V using a 120V outlet and plug. Using various 220V outlets and plugs rated for the amperage or above the circuit breaker amperage is not dangerous, using a 120V receptacle, is VERY dangerous. A person can then plug in a 120V appliance or tool and dependent on the wiring of the device possibly receive a lethal shock. At best it would in most cases burn the device up in short order. In my opinion this ranks above the danger of throwing oil or paint soaked rags into a basket of paper.

Re: Question on Plug, 120 vs 220 volts????

#12

Wouldn't the breaker trip immediately?


Re: Question on Plug, 120 vs 220 volts????

#13

Re: You might be the fusible link


Re: Question on Plug, 120 vs 220 volts????

#14

Re: previous owner did very dangerous thing.

Barry Irby

I hadn't thought about it, but you are probably correct. There may be a receptacle left wherever the machine came form that has the matching receptacle that is labeled for 120 but wired for 240. This could be a dangerous artifact indeed.

Re: Question on Plug, 120 vs 220 volts????

#15

No, but you would let the magic smoke out!!!

Jay Lombardo

The breaker would not trip because you are not exceeding the rated amperage. But the 120V device you were plugging in would receive 240V and hence let out the magic smoke. I was an electrician for over 40 yrs and whenever somebody on the job screwed up and fried something that was the joke, he let the magic smoke out. Never happened to me though, NO NEVER!! :D

Re: Question on Plug, 120 vs 220 volts????

#16

Re: No, but you would let the magic smoke out!!!

Barry Irby

Can't remember if I reported that Grizzly told me there was no chance the previous owner changed the motor to 120, so I bought the proper plug and replaced it. I also bought another receptacle and plug and changed those on the TS because somehow for all these years I had a non-NEMA plug on the TS. So now all is well with the world. The sander started and ran fine. No smoke-yet.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.